HI there... waiting sucks... I was all - RIGHT NOW - when i discovered I had this cancer. And I have had almost half of my tongue removed. It is a long surgery, but Moffitt is a good hospital and very good with OC. My surgery was 14 hours long and they did the same - wrist flap. I do film work and let me tell you I wouldn't be able to if I couldn't speak clearly. I still notice the occasional lisp but no one else - as far as - I know does. As long as he has a terrific plastic surgeon to rebuild he should be good. I was highly motivated to get back to normal and I have to say 4 years out. I think I am honestly about 95% there. I am still numb on certain parts of my neck from the dissection and I am not sure it will ever be normal but it is okay. I can at this point - even after having undergone rads - eat pretty much anything I choose. I do still have a bit of a problem with dryness of my mouth from my salivary gland being cooked but that's gotten considerably better over time. I chew and swallow on my right side as my left was what was rebuilt but once the swelling went down a while after - surgery my tongue began behaving rather normally - though I do still need water or liquid to wash some stuff down. There are people here who've had total glossectomies and they can speak and be understood - tell him to do whatever he has to and work his ass off to get back to as close to normal as possible. It can be done.
Your surgeon sounds terrific. Call her and tell her he can be ready for surgery if there is a cancellation or what not.

My surgeon said - cheryl NO ONE cancels my surgeries. I told him at the time - that no I was sure they didn't ... but people do get sick and there are snow storms and people's statuses change etc... and it didn't happen for me but my cousin who was also operated on by him actually got in on a cancellation. So it does happen. Make sure everything pre op that has to be done is done and then tell her that he can be there in an hour if need be. No one likes to waste OR time.

He will get through it. It will take a bit to recover - but he will be fine and amazed at how well he will be afterwards. Also he will likely need some physio on his shoulder and arm depending on the extent of the neck dissection. They sometimes cut the muscle. But that too is recoverable. I am about 98-99% in my shoulder and arm. (only notice it at the gym...just a small amount of weakness)

Read up on the surgery and give him some of the details. Otherwise it will be a shock to him but assure him many have traveled his path before him.

Yes this cancer is tricky. So to me time is always of the essence as is hitting it with everything they have. If they suggest rads again (particularly to the neck) then he should definitely do it.

hugs. You're terrific.

Last edited by Cheryld; 01-28-2015 08:37 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan