Hi all,

A few days ago, my wife went in to get her PET / CT scan done as a precaution as she was unable to do her PET prior to surgery due to her being 32 weeks pregnant at the time (she did have her CT scan & MRI pre-op).

She had only recently had surgery (11th of September) which involved a partial glossectomy (2/3 of oral tongue), Neck dissection Level I-V and tongue reconstruction using her leg flap.

Unfortunately, we got a call from the docs this morning saying that on the PET scan, they saw 'unusual activity' near the base of her tongue which was of particular concern and a bit of activity near where her lymph nodes were removed on the left side of the neck.

CT scans did not show anything definitive and I know there is a high false-positive rate on PET scans particular so close to post-op but am still very worried..

We were expected to start treatment on the 24th of October with 6.5 weeks of Radio / Chemo but they have now put this on hold until the doc's further examine Jenny.

Anyone have any similar experiences or able to shed some more light on this if possible? Am I safe to assume they will do a visual check as well as a Fine Needle Aspiration?

Thanks in advance..

Kind Regards
Jay

6/8/12: Wife 33y/o with no risk dx with Stage IVa SCC L of Tongue(T4aN2bM0)
3/9/12: Induced birth @ 36 weeks - Baby Hunter!
11/9/12: OP - 3/4 Partial Gloss, Radical ND & Tongue Rec.
24/10/12: 33xRad + 7xChemo
7/12/12: Tx complete
21/3/13 & 21/6/13: NED
24/7/13: SCC in Lungs - OP: Lobectomy (VATS)
29/1/14 passed away