2500 - 3000 calories a day is NOT a huge amount when you are fighting cancer. Your body burns calories at an amazing pace while going thru treatments and trying to recover.

Many days I would take in 6000 calories and never gained an ounce. Think of athletes doing training, they are working out so they burn the calories and need way more than the average person. Special K drinks are for diets and are supposed to be low in calories, right now that is not the best plan. You will want to get the highest calories you can.

Too many times Ive seen members skimp on their intake and wind up suffering. Nobody wants to end up hospitalized or to feel horrible so help yourself to get thru everything by pushing the calories and hydration. I know I am a broken record with this but its hard to imagine how difficult it can be until you are in the middle of treatments and realize you are struggling. Dehydration can sneak up on you very quickly. By sticking to a plan of taking in around 3000 calories and 48 oz of water every single day you should have an easier time of it.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma