Mickey and Jamos, (I will write this to both of you) now is when things will begin to get more difficult. Unfortunately it will get progressively worse and eating will become more of a bother. You may not have much of an appetite and things wont taste very good. This is when you must begin to really focus on getting that nutrition in and watching your hydration. Every single day you will need a minimum of 2500 calories, 3000 is much better! Your water intake daily must be at least 48 oz.

Jamos, losing 30 pounds is NOT good! That means your body is fighting so hard that it is burning thru too many calories and your intake is way below what it needs to be. You MUST turn this around immediately!

For pain the fentayl patch works the best. Its the strongest pain med out there. The patch is easy as it gets changed every 72 hours and you only need to take meds if you have occassional break thru pain. It will take about 24 hours to kick in when you first put the patch on. Also make sure to adhere to all directions especially no long hot baths or showers, do not ever cut, fold, rip or tear the patch.

Kathy is right about things being worse after treatment has ended. Its pretty hard but it can be done so please do not get yourselves discouraged. The best thing to do is focus your energies on your nutrition and hydration. This is what will make or break you. I cant stress this enough as its happened to me and I ended up being pushed into the hospital in a wheelchair by my son. With just one look from the doctor, I was admitted to the hospital for dehydration and malnutrition. She didnt even have to check my pulse, temp or weight, thats how bad I looked and I felt even worse, like I was dying. I hope to spare you from ever having to go thru this! This was just me, I was one that struggled but then again I didnt have a real caregiver either.

Hang in there!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy