"Dysplasia" basically means abnormal tissue -- but NOT malignant.

Here's how Brian Hill, the founder of OCF, responded to my initial question about dysplasia more than five years ago:

[quote=Brian Hill]Dysplasia are those cells which are no longer normal, but they are not really malignant yet ... an in-between state, so to speak. Dysplasias also do not always go completely over to the dark side, but they are a step in that direction ... and having them removed, or watched very regularly, is prudent. Dysplastic leukoplakias can often return after surgical removal, many times done with a laser, sometimes via a blade excision. Keep an eye on things even after the removal from now until forever.
[/quote]
As you can see from my signature, my husband had a leukoplakia (a white patch) that was initially diagnosed as moderate dysplasia. The pathology report warned of a possible "skip effect" -- meaning that there could be cancer in areas that were not part of the biopsy. (I suspect that the pathologist saw something suspicious but not definitive and wanted to sound an alert.)

By the time my husband had an excisional biopsy by an ENT a month later to remove the whole area of concern (the initial biopsy, by an oral surgeon, had just taken a tiny part), it had turned to the "dark side," as Brian put it -- but many dysplasias do not become malignant. And it was caught at the very earliest stage -- carcinoma in situ.

The excisional biopsy was the only treatment my husband had. Once cancer was diagnosed, he was seen by an ENT at a top-ranked comprehensive cancer center. Gradually the interval between appointments stretched out; he's now checked by the cancer doc once a year (and his dentist does regular VELscope exams when he goes for cleanings).

It's a good idea to have follow-up with an ENT. Ideally you want one who has experience in treating oral cancers and could recognize if a problem develops. The important thing is to, as Brian said, keep an eye on things even after the removal from now until forever.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.