Welcome to OCF, Buster. You will find so much info here and also on the main pages. There is a search function available in each area. There are several members who live in FL. This site will provide you with fast, factual info and moral support to help you thru your battle.

Im surprised to read you have Stage 1 or 2 and your course of treatment before a biopsy is done. Most of us have a biopsy done and then wait aprox a week for the results. Staging is done after both the biopsy and CT or PET scan. Is this the first time you have had cancer?

One thing you can do now to prepare yourself for your upcoming treatment is to eat alot. Eat all your favorite foods fattening and/or spicy. Dont worry about gaining weight, you will probably lose a few pounds during treatment. Your sense of taste may change and foods will lose their taste. It also may become difficult to swallow. You want to go into this with having no regrets or cravings. During treatment you will need it take in 2500+ calories and 48+ oz water daily. Believe it or not this could become difficult to do.

Make a list of everyone who offers to help and get their phone numbers. Tell them you will call them when the time comes that you need a hand. Do not turn anyone away. Take someone with you to all your doctor appointments. Write down yor questions in advance, most people hear something bad and then their ears stop working. Do you have someone who will be taking care of you? Call the American Cancer Society. They can give you a voucher for up to $300 of prescriptions, reimburse you for travel expenses you incur during radiation, or provide a driver to take you to treatments.

Im sure there is alot more that I am missing but this is enough to keep you busy for a while. Staying busy will help you to keep your mind off this.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma