I feel so lucky to have avoided radiation and chemo with this cancer. There seem to be few who fall into the surgery-only category. That is one reason why I hold back a bit even though I would like to return the help and advice I received when I first joined nearly one year ago. I'm battle-scarred and I lisp but life has otherwise returned to near normal. I know that I can fall off this health pedestal at any time but right now I just feel fortunate.

Of course there are challenges. I'm going to a photoshop course tonight for the second time. I was very aware last week that the others looked at me strangely when I introduced myself. I just really don't care. Maybe it's the anti-depressants suppressing anxiety ... Maybe I should worry more!

Anyway, much encouragement to those of you experiencing treatment right now. And I'm enjoying seeing people's updates on facebook.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.