Hi emily
I was intrigued by the diagnosis of dermal metasteses so i did some research and came up with this article.it would seem as though the prognosis may be poor,but there are some options.
[quote] In most cases, cutaneous involvement is the result of a direct extension of extranodal carcinoma into the dermis and the dermal lymphatics. This is not an uncommon finding in patients who do not respond to comprehensive treatments. However, metastases to the skin from a primary tumor in the visceral upper aerodigestive tract are quite rare, occurring in fewer than 2% of all visceral carcinomas. The scalp is the most common site of metastasis, but because examination of the scalp can be difficult, many of these lesions are diagnosed late. They usually present as multiple, firm, painless nodules. The presence of dermal metastases signals a poor prognosis because the lymphatic distribution in the skin is poorly understood. Wide local excision is often combined with adjuvant radiotherapy (i.e., external-beam or implant therapy) in an effort to eradicate tumor spread or palliate symptoms.

Suggested reading

Marioni G, Doro D, Marino F, et al. Skin and eye: Uncommon sites of distant metastasis from tongue base squamous cell carcinoma. Acta Otolaryngol 2003;123:1110-

O'Donnell M, Whitaker D. Clinical evaluation of tumors of the skin. In: Thawley SE, Panje WR, Batsakis JG, Lindberg RD, eds. Comprehensive Management of Head and Neck Tumors. Vol. 2. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1999:1222-43.

From the Head and Neck Cancer Center, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, and the Department of Otolaryngology, Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles [/quote]

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.