Hello Everyone,

The other shoe dropped for me today and I was re-diagnosed with cancer in my tongue. He is staging it at a Stage 2 but if one lymphnode that showed up on my CAT scan is positive then he will move it to a Stage 3. He was positive with me today while at the same time being honest. I go Friday for a PET scan and if anything shows up in my lungs we will not go forward with treatment for the tongue. If all is clean, then I'm having what he called an exploratory surgery on Wednesday so that he can look down in my throat and under my implants without causing me discomfort, he'll sedate me. After these procedures, I'm flying to Boston to Dana Farber for a consult, we started setting that up today. I do believe this time we need a second opinion.

Treatment planned thus far is a partial glossectomy and a neck disection. Feeding tube will be put in and he went on and on about how I probably won't be able to swallow or eat again and I immediately thought of people on this board! I know many of you with partial glossectomies that eat and swallow just fine.

I will write more later, it's been a long, drawn out day. My poor, poor husband. My heart is breaking for him. My girls are troopers, pulled together and had me lauging most of the evening.

Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.