Yesterday I managed a meeting with Professor Kevin Harrington, my original private patient Oncologist in London who sent me to this trial I'm currently on. It was a very nice meeting, I learned he's just become a first time father (!) and is running on about one hour of sleep a night (I can hardly imagine his career and then that on top!).

Kevin seemed cautiously happy with my situation on the trial; of course we would all have preferred it if the drug caused me full remission, but 'stable' and slight reduction is pretty good.

Kevin went on to tell me that these are very exciting times in cancer, and that they are right now in negotiations to start work with a whole new range of treatments that he described as antibodies that defeat some cancer cells ability to 'hide' from one's immune system. He put it in 'Star Trek' terminology as a cancer cloaking device de-cloaking device.

There are early stories coming out of the US of a few people on trials there who have been dramatically helped by these new antibodies, and in some cases it is even starting to look like these could result in a full cure, not just another suppression tool!

These don't work on all cancers, nor for all people with the 'right' cancers yet, but Kevin figures the more time GDC-0980 buys me, the more likely there will be something appropriate and new to try if and when GDC stops forking for me (which could be any time).

One form of cancer that this new approach appears to work for is metastatic melanoma, which is one of those they have considered un-curable (same as with metastatic squamous cell carcinoma, which is mine).

Anyway, I thought all of that was pretty cool!

I have a CT scan in four days, on 6 May.

Onward through the fog we go.

47 yr old male non-smoker, social drinker, fit. Jan'10, Stg3 rt tonsil+rt neck SCC, HPV+, rad+chmo Vancouver Cda. 2yr clear Apr'12 London UK. Apr'13 mets recur to lymph btw left lung & aorta, 3x Cisplatin+5FUchemo+20 rad, was all clear but 6-mo PET-CT shows mets to pleura around left lung, participating in St 1 trial of GDC-0980. GDC lost effect and ended July'14, bad atrial fibrillation requiring hospitalisation, start more standard chemo 10 Sep 2014.
Sadly has passed away, notified Jan 2015.