Hello again!

After my last update following my 12 March hospital visit we went off to the Outer Hebrides, the Isles of Lewis and Harris (home of Harris Tweed) in far north western Scotland for some wind and waves (it's true what they say about the white sand beaches and turquoise surf, but this time of year that comes with stinging horizontal drizzle, too......dramatic and beautiful, but not for the faint of heart).

Unfortunately my cold moved deep into my chest in a big way and on Saturday 15 March I realised I might be in some trouble when I struggled to move enough air to blow my nose. I phoned the Drug Development Unit in Sutton and spoke with the Duty Nurse who reviewed my trial protocols and approved me to go get some antibiotics aside from one. That evening I marched into the A&E at the local NHS hospital in Stornoway and, after sitting for a time watching the rugby with a string of injured Scottish teenage sporty types, saw a bright young GP. The Dr listened to my story and my chest, googled GDC-0980 and handed me a box of Amoxicillin, all no charge.

One week ago, Wednesday, 19 March I visited the DDU as normal and was told that this trial drug increases ones risk of infection about 4 fold. The Dr (yet another new one!) said it was very likely I did in fact have a biological chest infection and that the Amoxicillin was the right thing to have done, but also said I should take a one-week pause from the trial drug to let the antibiotic do its work. He also had a basic chest x-ray done which showed nothing material (i.e. no pneumonia!).

As of yesterday, 26 March, my chest cold was greatly improved and the pleurisy pain had in fact also subsided quite a lot, though I do still have a nagging productive cough and night wheeze (I had the night wheeze before ever starting the trial or having this cold, so that may be something altogether different, including possibly in part related to radiation scarring, but the blue puffer does relieve this when it keeps me awake). I went to the DDU as normal, 4-hours fasted, gave blood and had a quick exam plus an ECG and they cleared me to resume the trial, which I did. I've also gained back a few pounds in the week off.

So! Back on track after a one-week break.

My parents are visiting from California, and this week we've sent them up to do their own exploration of Scotland. I'll train up and join them in Pitlochry this Friday, getting them settled in to Edinburgh on Sunday evening before I return to London that night.

My wife and I are starting to plan a trip that may take the form of motorcycling to remote northern France in early July to visit a friend who will be minding the family farm while her parents are away on a trip.

Zoom zoom!

47 yr old male non-smoker, social drinker, fit. Jan'10, Stg3 rt tonsil+rt neck SCC, HPV+, rad+chmo Vancouver Cda. 2yr clear Apr'12 London UK. Apr'13 mets recur to lymph btw left lung & aorta, 3x Cisplatin+5FUchemo+20 rad, was all clear but 6-mo PET-CT shows mets to pleura around left lung, participating in St 1 trial of GDC-0980. GDC lost effect and ended July'14, bad atrial fibrillation requiring hospitalisation, start more standard chemo 10 Sep 2014.
Sadly has passed away, notified Jan 2015.