Posted By: mhupe ChristineB - 08-24-2009 10:40 PM
I spoke to Travis, Christine's son, and it sounds like things went very well today. She had a long surgery (about 10 hours) and they are going to keep her under until Thursday.

Travis (OCF name-TravisB)is planning on posting details later today.

I told him I was going to post a quick note to let everyone know that everything is looking good. All the prayers and good wishes must be doing their thing!!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 08-24-2009 11:34 PM
Hi Margaret...thank you for the update. I wasn't sure when we would hear...I've been checking throughout the day....
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 01:03 AM
Go glad to hear things went well, thanks so much for the update!
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 02:24 AM
Thanks Margaret, I knew that you would get to us with the update. Thank her son for me too. She;s a very special lady.
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 03:15 AM
I'm planning on a trip to see her early next week. She was so worried about everyone else-she's truly one of a kind.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 04:07 AM
Sue,

I never asked Christine for the hospital name. Do you have the address so we can send cards?

Margaret
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 04:29 AM
Christine is at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown on Cedar Crest Boulevard. There are 3 locations, but the CCB location is the biggest. Here's the address:

Lehigh Valley Hospital - Cedar Crest
Cedar Crest and I-78
P.O. Box 689
Allentown, PA 18105-1556

I'll be heading out of town and will be back on Thursday. If she is able to have visitors later this week I will stop in to see her.

I am thrilled that the surgery went well. I hope and pray her recovery goes even better. Keept those prayers coming!!
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 04:32 AM
Thanks Sue!!
Posted By: lorileona Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 06:30 AM
Thanks for the update, Margaret. I've been wondering all day how it went.
TravisB, please tell your Mom when she is awake that she has many many prayers being sent up for her. We love her here at OCF!
Lori
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 07:02 PM
I haven't been able to post for awhile but really appreciate the update on Christine. Thanks so much and glad to hear the surgery went well.

Posted By: SandySt. Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 10:45 PM
Can she receive flowers?

Sandyst
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 10:50 PM
She is sedated until Thursday. When they wake her up, I'll ask Travis if she can receive flowers.

Cecilia just sent me a message about flowers, wondering if interested parties could pitch in through a pay pal account to send a nice a bouquet. I have no idea how to do that...if anyone has ideas on that/or interest in participating in a group bouquet...post here or on her Facebook Fan Club page and we'll see if we can figure something out.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2009 11:28 PM
I'm going to the hospital on Saturday. I'll let everyone know how she is doing when I see her. That's the plan anyway. I think I'll call Travis before I leave and make sure she's up to it...
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 08-26-2009 12:39 AM
Thanks for the address sue. Is there an update for today??
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: ChristineB - 08-26-2009 03:41 AM
That is so nice of you Suzanne to go visit her! Please give her my best!!!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 08-26-2009 01:43 PM
On that note about the flowers...I would definitely like to contribute so please tell us how. I think that's a fantastic idea Margaret.

I also would like to propose that we, with Brian's permission, set up a fund within the OFC that we can make a specific donation to, that will send flowers to every OFC poster when they have to have surgery and I will make the first donation to get it started.

Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 08-26-2009 02:36 PM
That's a great idea. I would like to donate also.
Posted By: Donna MFS Re: ChristineB - 08-26-2009 02:47 PM
Thank you Margaret. I have been checking and I am happy to see that all went well with the surgery. Looking forward to hearing from Travis.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: ChristineB - 08-26-2009 02:48 PM
Just looked at the paypal website and it looks like I should be able to send someone money to assist with the purchase of flowers.

You have to select "send money" and then select the "personal" option (as opposed to the purchase option). All I need by the looks of it is an e mail address of someone who will be coordinating the flower purchase.

Would you be interested in purchasing the group flowers Suzanne, and if so I would need your e mail address to send the funds.

It looks pretty straight forward through PayPal.

Let me know.

Donna

Posted By: Cecilia Re: ChristineB - 08-26-2009 09:34 PM
Hi, Margaret and I thought we could send flowers via Paypal. I have a paypal account so if needed we could use mine. i found a site that accepted paypal as payment for flowers and delivered in Allentown.
I didn't think flowers were accepted in some parts of hospitals. I know that Martin wasn't allowed them as he was in the high dependancy ward. I thought maybe we can get flowers for when she comes home.
I was thinking of organising it with Margaret's help on Christine's facebook fan page, but I can link to both sites.
With $1 each from her facebook friends and OCF friends, we could get something really pretty.
I am happy to organise if you want.
Posted By: Cecilia Re: ChristineB - 08-26-2009 09:39 PM
http://www.pickupflowers.com/products/usa/sunflowers-and-a-little-sunshine

This is the site and a bright happy example of flowers. But there are many more. I know that Christine's favourite colour is blue, but I thought all blue might be less cheerful. There is some blue there as well. My favourite favourite it a bouquet of sunflowers but there is no blue in that at all, so probably not.
Tell me what you think.
I'll post his on the fanpage as well.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 12:24 AM
I have a row of sunflowers in my garden you can make a bouquet from Cecilia. All are very large too. I too think sunflowers are pretty and I raised to put in competion at our Pumpkin Festival.
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 01:06 AM
As you can see it is Daffodil day here tomorrow.
Unfortunately as our climate is the reverse of the US and others it is not an option sadly.
Gabriele

"Daffodil Day 2009 is Friday 28th August
Website URL: www.daffodilday.com.au
The largest national fundraising event of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere, Daffodil Day raises essential funds for cancer research, education and support programs.
The daffodil is the international symbol of hope for all touched by cancer."

Posted By: lorileona Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 02:34 AM
Count me in if you get an arrangement through PayPal. I would be honored to contribute.
Lori
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 05:02 PM
I asked the nurse in icu where my moms staying she said that flowers arn't allowed in icu but cards are. Im going over today hopefuly she will be awake and i can let her know how many people are thinking about her smile
Posted By: SandySt. Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 05:09 PM
I would also like to contribute for flowers for Christine.

Sandy
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 05:47 PM
That's such a great idea! I'm sure many, including me, would be happy to make that donation! Any updates on Christine yet?
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 05:51 PM
I would also like to contribute to Christine's flowers when she's able to have them. She needs some major cheerfulness around her!
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 09:00 PM
I just got back from visiting my mom, shes doing good still didnt wake yet but the doctor said she should come around with in the next couple days. In about a week she will be moved to a room in the burn unit and im trying to find out if she can recieve flowers in there. I will keep everyone updated and if she can get flowers i can provide any information needed.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 10:39 PM
I mailed her a humorus card today. I didn't figure flowers were allowed in. When she is allowed flowers, I am going to send her some. Sorry all, but we do have to keep the bouquets rather neat and precise I bet. I know she will like the card.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 11:00 PM
Cecilia has started the collection fund for the flowers through a paypal account. She will have the fund ready to go for when Travis lets us know she is ok to receive flowers. If you didn't get her Facebook email on how to contribute, please send Cecilia or me a private message and we'll get you the details.

Travis, thank you for posting an update.
Posted By: SandySt. Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2009 11:41 PM
I need to know how to contribute.
Sandy
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-28-2009 12:17 AM
Hi Sandy,

I just sent you a message with Cecilia's pay pay instructions. Thanks for contributing!

Margaret
Posted By: Pete D Re: ChristineB - 08-28-2009 09:37 PM
I doubt that flowers are allowed in ICU, Burn Unit, etc., where risk of infection is high.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-28-2009 09:55 PM
I spoke to her son earlier today, we will send the flowers at the first available doctor approved moment. Interestingly enough, Travis has been keeping tabs on this as well as Christine had told him that she'd like to wake up to flowers.

While we might not be able to accommodate that, I'm sure she'll appreciate the flowers at any time even if we have to send them to her home when she is released. :-)
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 08-29-2009 12:32 AM
Hi all...I spoke to Travis tonight and they are still waking her up. The blood is not flowing correctly in her neck and they are doing leech treatment which seems to be working. I will not be seeing her tomorrow since she is not awake yet. I feel bad because that was what we had planned so I hope she isn't awake wondering why I'm not there. I don't want to intrude....sounds too early for friends still. I hope to see her soon!!!
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 08-29-2009 02:13 AM
Sending out prayers for Christine and her family. Suzanne-in my experience-she will not know that you weren't there. It will take a week, if not more, for her to be fully awake. My husband was in the hospital for over 2 weeks following the same surgery and did not remember a minute of his stay. She will know you were there in spirit.
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: ChristineB - 08-29-2009 02:39 AM
Sending lots of prayers from the other side of the world also.

Karen
Posted By: Cecilia Re: ChristineB - 08-29-2009 12:05 PM
Glad to know she is doing well. Our flower fund is growing and we now have $70, so we can get her some very beautiful flowers.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 08-29-2009 12:46 PM
THIS IS FOR CHRISTINE WHEN SHE AWAKENS. WELCOME BACK FROM YOUR JOURNEY BEAUTIFUL LADY. I SURE MISS YOUR POSTS AND THE PMS WE EXCHANGE. YOU ARE THAT VERY SPECIAL LADY IN OUR LIVES AND WE NEED YOUR WISDOM. Remember this will all take time but it gets us closer to our dinner one day in 2010.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-29-2009 01:24 PM
Hi Cecilia,

There are more funds to come, some people indicated they would prefer to provide checks. I'll enter into paypal as I receive them. We have to wait for Travis' ok from the docs on when we can send. It's nice that the money is already collected. If we get enough, perhaps we could send two bouquest over the course of her long recovery. :-)
Posted By: debandbill Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 12:28 AM
Hey guys...

Considering the flower arrangement...what would you guys think about taking any excess and making a donation to OCF in Christine's honor. Flowers are wonderful but fleeting and the donation would have more stay power. Just something to consider.

Deb
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 01:26 AM
Hi Deb,

So far, everyone who has contributed to the paypal account has done so with the expectation of sending flowers.

To keep things uncomplicated, I think we should keep the flower fund a flower fund.

However, I like the idea of supporting OCF. It is super easy to make a donation to OCF, I made mine the same day I sent money to Christine's fund. There's a comment section that can be filled out if anyone would like to dedicate their contribution to Christine.

And, unlike the flower fund, everyone can do this individually and we don't have to pre-pool the money.

Margaret

Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 02:39 AM
Hey guys, I went to see my mom today and it looks like she will be asleep for a bit longer. They put her back on sedditives to keep her from moving around. Yesterday and all last night the doctors were trying to get more blood flow in her neck by using leeches but those seemed to have little effect. She recieved two bags of blood today because her blood pressure was low. The doctor also said the flap of new skin in her cheek has changed colors slightly so they are keeping an eye on it. Thank you guys for your prayers I know they are keeping my mom strong, and thank you for the donations toward the flowers i cant wait till shes awake and can recieve them smile
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 03:22 AM
Travis,

Thank you for the update. (I had no idea that leeches were still being used. Yikes!!)

I'll keep up my prayers for your Mom.

- Margaret
(the other Margaret!)
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 03:25 AM
Travis,

Thanks for taking the time to provide the update. Was hoping for better news. Will keep on praying. Your mom's a strong lady, and she's got people worldwide who have her in their thoughts and prayers.

I hope you are doing ok, Travis. It's always important for the caregiver to take good care of themselves.

Margaret
Posted By: Pete D Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 04:14 AM
Some info on leeches:

http://www.chevroncars.com/learn/wondrous-world/medical-leeches
Posted By: Cookey Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 06:49 AM
I'm disappointed in this news,but think a trip to the island might cheer me up.

Come on Christine you can do it girl!!!!!
Posted By: walknlite Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 01:48 PM
I have not been on here much in the last week. I will continue to keep Christine in my prayers and you too Travis. I know this is hard on you as well.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 02:01 PM
Travis, thanks for the update. I was hoping to drive up and visit you guys by the end of the week. I guess I will postpone till the following week or until ou say it's OK.

When when your mom is able to have visitors, I would appreciate getting directions from you. I will send you an email at that time.

Jerry

Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 02:14 PM
Thanks, Pete! I'm afraid I'll still say, "Yuck!" after seeing a leech, though.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 02:26 PM
Thank you for the update Travis. Also, thank you for taking the time to talk to me Friday. I can't wait to hear your mom is waking up. We are all praying for you too, stay strong and remember we are here for you.

xoxo
Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 02:30 PM
You know when you think about it leeches fit perfectly with the rest of this barbaric treatment.

NEW RULE....We don't allow leeches on the Island.

I think we need to continue to send flowers to site posters that have to undergo surgery so I vote we keep the remainder in a separate fund like Margaret said.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 02:36 PM
I love that idea David....flowers to OCF posters.
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 03:50 PM
Keeping Christine in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 04:48 PM
I just got back from seeing my mom today, her neck is looking better. The flap of skin new skin on her cheek is starting to turn black, the doctors say they have to wait and see if they need to go back in. they are now putting leeches on the black parts of the new skin to try to get blood flowing better.
Posted By: Sophie H. Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 06:02 PM
I agree that setting up a fund would be terrific(in my department we call it the "sunshine fund" but maybe here we could call it something like the Island fund. I would like to contribute as well.

Travis, thanks for your update. Sounds like some good news and some iffy news. I hope the leeches work and I imagine it's a good thing that Christine's not really awake to see them! My thoughts and prayers are with you and I'm glad that you are there for your mom.

Sophie
Posted By: Dianeox Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 06:36 PM
Travis,
Thanks for posting an update. We will continue to send positive energy her way. Take care of yourself too!
Diane
Posted By: Cecilia Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 07:03 PM
Leeches!!!!!!!!!!
I hate those things, they used to bite when i was a kid when i went to play in the river. I suppose if they help that's good. I hope they work!
Posted By: Cecilia Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 07:24 PM
I read the earlier post about a contribution to OCF being more useful. i agree in a way, but I think most of us here will have donated at one time or another, and will carry on contributing.
I think flowers for OCF patients as a fund is a good idea. I know flowers are fleeting, but they do have the quality of making someone poorly feel better, just becasue they are beautiful. And even if the feeling of hapiness from flowers is as fleeting as the flowers themselves, I think a little cheer is always worth it.
I would be happy to contribute if an ODF flower fund was created.
Oh, just noticed a spelling mistake in my signature, must go and correct it.
Posted By: SandySt. Re: ChristineB - 08-30-2009 10:39 PM
If anyone is looking for a census, I vote to keep a "flower fund."
Sandyst
Posted By: debandbill Re: ChristineB - 08-31-2009 12:32 AM
Just to clarify... I didn't suggest to not send flowers but it seemed that so many of us were contributing that there might be an excess of money that might be put to a good use..really, how many flower arrangements can you send to one person. A flower fund for others undergoing surgery is a good idea..I tend to lean toward donating it to OCF but I can do that on my own.

I appreciate all the work going into the flower fund and it was not my wish to dampen the giving spirit..I just know how Brian talks about thinking of OCF when there are funds involved...I think that is my vote.

JMHO, Deb
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 08-31-2009 02:00 AM
That is a great idea Deb. Flowers tend to rot after so long and that is why you will have trouble finding them inside a coffin when it's put in the vault and then the ground. It can cause deterioration of a body after so long.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-31-2009 03:41 AM
Travis,

Thanks for posting another update. Sorry that your mom isn't healing as planned. I hope the leaches work and that she doesn't have to have more surgery.

Margaret
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 08-31-2009 04:05 AM
Also hoping that the leaches do the job...remember my grandmother having the treatment on her legs at least 45 years ago.
Gabriele
Posted By: WendyG Re: ChristineB - 08-31-2009 04:26 AM
Thanks for the update Travis. If anyone can get through this then your mum can. She's one tough lady that I admire greatly. Fingers crossed that the leeches do their job. Will be thinking of you all.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 08-31-2009 11:11 AM
The leeches do a great job. I watched a nurse packing a guys leg with them at the Steel Mill I worked in,. He had a sulphur burn from hot iron that burned him to the bone and this was the only treatment that seemed to work. It took awhile but his leg finally healed.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 08-31-2009 11:14 AM
Travis, you have a mom that has the toughness of any fighter and the attitude of a winner. I pray for her mentally all day long and for the day she wakes up to see you there with her.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: ChristineB - 08-31-2009 03:42 PM
I would vote to keep a flower fund. I think that for the patient, having a tangible visual reminder of the support from OCF is worth alot. I don't think the diversion of these few dollars (in the big picture view) will make a difference to OCF. I think most of us donate or participate in fundraising directly for OCF (and if you don't you might want to consider doing so!), so the flower fund gets my vote.

Donna
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 08-31-2009 09:23 PM
Sounds like there is a groundswell for a flower fund that is far bigger than the ChristineB bouquet. Is any one interested in spearheading such an effort?
Posted By: Eileen Re: ChristineB - 08-31-2009 09:26 PM
I think a flower fund would be nice but it is totally unsustainable. Rosie couldn't even get a few people to donate $10 to OCF so we could win a prize.

If you are wondering what to do with the left over money and you don't want to donate it OCF, we have another member who had surgery 8/31 who expects to be in the hospital for 10 days. Why not send her flowers also.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 12:41 AM
Who is the other member? AmyK? I'm all for OCF sending flowers but with so many people putting in money with the expectation of it going to Christine I think we should stick with that.

I wonder if we could set up a general fund that would go to OCF and someone could be in charge of the flowers? That may too much. I think we made the decision to do this because we all know and love ChristineB. She is the first to welcome new members and provides support to everyone here. She is special and that is why we are doing something special for her. Just my thought....
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 12:51 AM
I agree with you Suzanne. I don't know why this has to be such a big deal. Flowers for Christine is how this started and how it should end.
Posted By: SandySt. Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 01:40 AM

I orginally voted to maintain a flower fund, but after giving it some thought, I believe it's a good idea.

Since more than enough money has been collected for flowers, maybe we can spend the remained on something she may need after she is home. Then close the fund.

Sandy
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 02:07 AM
There's never too much money for a bouquet...there's just bigger bouquets! :-)

We can't collect money from multiple people with a specific intent and then change how the money will be spent AFTER the money is collected.

If anyone wants to contact Cecilia for the list of donors to gain 100% agreement on the use of the funds, feel free to do so. Otherwise, it would just be wrong to do anything other than send Christine flowers...because that's why people donated the money that is currently in the fund.

Posted By: Geri Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 02:15 AM
Hi,
I just wanted to chime in and say how much I miss Christine's presence on the forum. I've gotten in the habit of always checking for her posts and responses to people. She has been such a staunch supporter and we could always count on her to answer even the most redundant questions. Just my 2cents and I hope and pray she'll be back with us soon....Geri
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 02:27 AM

So do I Geri, and I hope that Christine's cheek flap is turning a beautiful shade of pink, albeit with some help from some leeches, and everything gets better and brighter and she is on the road to recovery as soon as possible.

Karen
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 02:59 AM
I agree, the forum is not the same without her.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 12:50 PM
I agree with Margaret...you really can't have an arrangement that is too big!! Especially for our girl:) Wow....I miss her. I can't wait to hear how she is doing. I don't want to bother Travis but I'm dying to call him....
Posted By: Muffet Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 04:29 PM
Just a thought. A bouquet for her in the hospital as soon as she can have flowers and a bouquet sent to her home for her homecoming. Two chances to enjoy flowers. Or maybe a third one sent to her home a couple of weeks after her homecoming.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 04:35 PM
I agree that the money should be spent for the original intent -- flowers for Christine!

If there was enough money collected, one suggestion would be to send a bouquet to the hospital, and then another one to her home while she is recuperating.

I sure miss her words of comfort and wisdom. I hope Travis gives us an update soon.
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 06:05 PM
I think David's idea is a great one too! Travis, thanks for the updates on your Mom. I am sending my most positive thoughts and prayers for your mom's recovery. Sounds like they are taking good care of her. Remember to take care of yourself in the meantime.

Nancy T.
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 09:18 PM
I went to see my mom this morning, shes looking better the flap on her cheek is less black but the doctors are still gonna wait to see what happens im praying they dont need to do any more surgery. she is still sedated and thaey stoped using leeches on her.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 09:33 PM
Look the OFC is the best Foundation and the best website and this could be something that just makes it stand out even more. Please tell me of ANY other similar web site that sends flowers to it's posters undergoing surgery? NONE

It's really the thought that counts so we don't need to send Christine a huge arrangement when we could start a fund with the leftovers that could make a difference to many posters in the future.
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-01-2009 09:40 PM
Travis- How are you holding up? I know how difficult this is for you. We are all praying she doesn't need any more surgery. Best thoughts going out to all of you.

Sue
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 02:17 AM
Travis

We are praying with you. We really want that flap to improve asap also. Christine can then come out of her slumber and start healing and give you a BIG hug for being there by her side.

Your mom will be so proud of you. Stay strong!!.

Karen
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 02:42 AM
Well I went back to the hospital tonight and the doctors said the flap of new skin they put in died so they are gonna have to do more surgery tomorrow. They are planning on doin a peck falp tomorrow, the doctor said this one will have a better chance of livving because they are gonna keep it attatched to the artery its by.
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 02:57 AM
Travis

Thanks again for keeping us informed.

That is disappointing news, but Christine held her team of doctors in the highest possible regard and confident in their ability to do the very best for her, so you mom is in very capable hands.

Thinking of you both,

Karen
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 03:00 AM
Oh my, Travis. If they do surgery tomorrow, when will they plan to wake her up? How long do you think she will be in surgery?

I was driving home from work tonight and I kept wishing I could give her a call, I miss her tons!! Will keep praying for her!!
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 03:08 AM
Travis,

Your mother was aware that this was a possibility, and I was hoping and praying that it wouldn't be necessary. Right now it is probably rougher on you since you are aware what is going on.

Your mother has a great team of doctors taking care of her, and has lots of prayers coming her way from around the world. She will be all right, but it is just going to take a little longer than expected.

Remember, it you need anything, I'm right down the road. I'll be praying for your mom and hugs to you.
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 03:10 AM
Oh no, this is disappointing news. But I'm glad to hear they have a "Plan B." I'll just have to keep up with my prayers for Christine and her surgical team!

- Margaret
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 05:52 AM
Travis: Your mom and your family remain in my prayers. I have a good feeling about this new procedure and I'm praying that I'm right! They say the good things in life don't come easily. Based on that saying, I fully expect that Christine will have a fabulous outcome seeing as she is going through such hell now.

Donna
Posted By: Jenka Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 10:20 AM
Sorry to hear about the setback. Hopefully, the new flap will take better, and Christine can move on to healing. Hang tough, Travis. I know it's not easy for you either.
Posted By: WendyG Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear things aren't going as planned Travis. Your mum is an amazing woman and extremely tough. I have no doubt she will get through this. Hang in there and I will be thinking about you both.

Wendy
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 04:36 PM
This news makes me sad...I wish it was better. But...she will get through it and we knew this was a possibility. Do we know how long this surgery will be?
Posted By: Eileen Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 05:06 PM
Thanks for the update Travis. Sorry to hear she will need more surgery. Hopefully this one will take. Keep us posted and take care of yourself.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 09-02-2009 08:09 PM
Thanks for the update and know that the prayers keep coming. I totally agree with what someone said earlier...your Mom would be so very proud of you right now. With your support and all the loving thoughts and prayers coming from all around the world, I'm hoping your Mom will be feeling the love. She is very special to all of us and we are hoping for such a wonderful recovery for her. Take care and know you are not alone!

Nancy T
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-03-2009 11:18 AM
I really can't add anything to what has been said already about and for your Mom Travis. I keep her in my thoughts daily and in my prayers.
Posted By: Malka Re: ChristineB - 09-03-2009 05:05 PM
Travis,
A cyber hug for your mom and prayers for strenght for you and a good recovery for her.
Malka
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-04-2009 01:52 PM
Hey guy's sry i havent been on in a while. The doctors decided to wait to do surgery because they thought it was looking better but now they have decided to do it first thing tomorrow. On the positive side my mom did wake up and i got to see her, she was still really out of it though.
Posted By: slim Re: ChristineB - 09-04-2009 02:05 PM
Travis, thank you for the update. Continued prayers for your mom and you.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-05-2009 12:57 AM
Thank you Travis...I've been checking everyday for any new news. I'm happy you got a chance to talk to her...how did she seem? I guess she was out of it which is good. I think that is what she wanted...to sleep through this. We all love your mom and have both of you in our prayers. Please let us know how the surgery goes.
Posted By: SandySt. Re: ChristineB - 09-05-2009 01:39 AM
Travis:
Thanks for the update. It's great that you and your mom got to connect. She continues to be in my prayers for a successful surgery.
Sandyst
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: ChristineB - 09-05-2009 01:50 AM
Travis

Thanks again for updating. As always, my thoughts are with you both.

Karen
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-05-2009 03:47 PM
Travis, thanks for the update. We'll keep her in our thoughts and prayers!
Posted By: Dianeox Re: ChristineB - 09-05-2009 08:37 PM
Thanks for the update, Travis. We all understand how much you have to do, and we really appreicate you keeping the world imformed on your Mom's progress! We continue to think of you and your Mom and send positive healing energy your way.

Diane
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-06-2009 03:00 AM
Does anyone know anything about the surgery today? I've been thinking of our girl all day...
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-06-2009 11:51 AM
Knowing your Mom Travis, she will wake up giving words of encouragement to the Drs and others LOL She is one of my main heros in life.
Posted By: August Re: ChristineB - 09-07-2009 12:17 AM
I have been away from the Forum for a while.....just taking one of those breaks that most of us needs from time time.....and I am so distressed not to have known of Christine's surgery.

I want to add myself to the army of Christine's supporters! What an ordeal. NObody should have to go through so much!

Travis, your mom will be very proud of you. You both have a difficult journey ahead, but supporting each other, you'll both do fine.

Be assured of my prayers for you both. I'll check daily now, for your updates.

XOXO--Colleen T.
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-07-2009 03:32 AM
Just an update on my mom, the surgery went well they did the peck flap and took a skin graft from her leg for her neck. The nurse said she should be awak tomorrow.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-07-2009 03:52 AM
Travis,

Glad the surgery went well. Hope that all goes well when she wakes up tomorrow. I'm sure you will let her know how much we all miss her here!

Thank you so much for the update!!

Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-07-2009 11:20 AM
Thanks Travis and I hope your Holiday can be somewhat enjoyable seeing as you might get to see your mom awake for a few minutes. Give her a hug for me.. Jim
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-07-2009 02:45 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how she is doing. I know we are all thinking about her. Can't wait to hear that she is awake. Enjoy your time with her and give her hugs from us here.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 09-07-2009 02:55 PM
Travis,

Thanks for the update. I've been worried about her and keeping her and you in my prayers. Take care of yourself also.
Posted By: SandySt. Re: ChristineB - 09-07-2009 05:29 PM
Travis

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I check every day for messages. I know you have so many other more important things to do, so I really appreciate you're remembering us. You mom, is a lovely lady, and I'm praying for her recovery.

When she wakes up, tell her we all miss her at OCF.

Sandyst

Posted By: Donna MFS Re: ChristineB - 09-08-2009 04:06 AM
Travis,

Send your Mom my love...I am thinking of her everyday and praying for her...she is a very special woman.
Posted By: WendyG Re: ChristineB - 09-08-2009 11:54 AM
Hi Travis, just thinking of your mum and hoping she is ok. She's an amazing woman and many here would be lost without her words of wisdom. She is very much missed here on the forums and I for one will be having a party to celebrate on the day she comes back on.
Posted By: August Re: ChristineB - 09-09-2009 04:22 AM
Travis, I pray for your mom every day.....

Does anybody here know if Travis has started another thread, or if he's posted somewhere else? The last posting I find from him was two nights ago.

XO
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-09-2009 04:29 AM
No i have not started another thread ive just been busy seeing my mom and taking care of the house. I saw my mom today the flap is healing nicely and they are slowly starting to wake her up. She should be awake within the next couple days.
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: ChristineB - 09-09-2009 04:50 AM
Thanks Travis for the latest update. That is terrific news.

The last couple of weeks must have felt like months for you. We are thinking of Christine and you often.

Take care

Karen

Posted By: August Re: ChristineB - 09-09-2009 04:53 AM
Thanks, Travis!! We worry, you know! I'm so thankful that things are finally going well for your mom. When she wakes up, tell her that all her friends on this forum are thinking about you both and praying our hearts out for you. XOX
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: ChristineB - 09-09-2009 05:52 AM
Thank you so much for the updates, Travis. Be sure your Mom knows we're all rooting and praying for her.

- Margaret
Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 09-09-2009 01:22 PM
Sounds great.
Posted By: Dianeox Re: ChristineB - 09-09-2009 05:25 PM
Travis,
So glad to hear that the surgery went well. We all look forward to hearing that your Mom is awake and planning to return home. We understand how much energy it takes for you to have her in the hospital. Hugs to both of you....
Diane
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 09-09-2009 11:11 PM
Travis
Great news that the flap is healing nicely and I hope all is well in a few days when she wakes.
Gabriele

Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-09-2009 11:23 PM
This is great news..I'm so happy to hear things are heading in the right direction!! Travis, as everyone else has had said, thank you for taking the time to update us.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 12:48 AM
Travis,

Thanks for the update. I am hoping that by the end of next week she'll be able to have visitors and I will make a trip up.

I'll be watching your posts.

Jerry
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 03:16 AM
Today my mom was awake but still really out of it they are slowly taking her off sedation, but they say she really wont remember anything about her time in the hospital. The doctors are very pleased with how things are healing and expect her to recover nicely.
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 03:17 AM
Good news Travis..thanks
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 03:26 AM
Hurray! Great to hear some good news about Christine!! Thanks, Travis!
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 04:09 AM
Wonderful news !!

Karen
Posted By: WendyG Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 09:38 AM
Wonderful news Travis. I'm really happy for all of you.

Wendy
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 10:20 AM
My husband didn't remember much at all about his stay and nothing at all about the week and a half in the SICU. Hopefully this will be the case for Christine!
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 10:25 AM
I still have at least 9 months of LOST in SPACE that I know absolutelt nothing about.This was the pre seed implants. The day I woke up unil now is pretty good. I hope it's just the days Christine was out that are blank. Sure miss her and her posts on here.
Posted By: slim Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 12:37 PM
Travis, thanks for the update. Great news that your mom is healing and hopefully won't remember the awful days. Hang in there, better days are ahead. We all miss Christine.
Posted By: Eileen Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 05:38 PM
That's great news. Here's too a speedy recovery.

Take care,
eileen
Posted By: Dianeox Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 05:50 PM
Travis,
Woo-hoo! That's great news. How wonderful that the docs gave her body the opportunity to heal without having to worry about anything else. Still sending positive energy your way....
Diane
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-10-2009 11:33 PM
Oh this just warms my heart!!!
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: ChristineB - 09-11-2009 01:18 AM
Travis - thanks for keeping us in the loop, as we are so into the healing and recovery of your Mom! When she is fully awake, give her a hug and love from all of us. Jane : )
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-11-2009 01:27 AM
Thanks Travis, Maybe it's best she doesn't remember anything about it. That was a standard answer i got from the Drs and whoever else I asked. I bet your mom will be posting within 3 days after she is awake. My hero that lady is.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: ChristineB - 09-11-2009 01:52 PM
Travis

Man to man, I want to say you are one hell of fine son. From some of the stories here, Not many young men would bother to join OCF and update us on their mom. We all appreciate it, but considering the person your Mom is, we are not surprised at just how thoughtful and caring you are.
Charm
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-11-2009 02:12 PM
Another set of words put together by Charm that are perfect. Man I admire your Compositions charm. No one but you come up with the perfect words at the right time. I admire Travis also, but we know it's how Christine raised him. Travis, I will be waiting for the post that says she is awake and with it. Jim
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-12-2009 03:12 AM
Hey guys I went to see my mom like i do every day, its almost become like a routine now. They gave her more pain medication today to keep her from moving around because they dont want her to ruin the flap, the doctor said that they should start slowly waking her over the weekend. Other than than everything looks healthy and it looks like this second surgery is working alot better. It doent look as good cosmeticly but they got the cancer and shes healing thats all that counts.
Posted By: Cookey Re: ChristineB - 09-12-2009 04:05 AM
Amen to that.
Posted By: walldoe Re: ChristineB - 09-12-2009 09:04 AM
Thank you, Travis, for the update Your mom is so dear to us all.

Connie
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-12-2009 10:20 AM
Thank you Travis. I admire anyone with the stick to the task BUG. Good job there guy.
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-12-2009 01:17 PM
She's beautiful no matter what!
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-12-2009 03:01 PM
Travis, thanks for the updates. Hope to hear she is awake and doing better this weekend. Do you have her white board and marker close by her? :-)

I keep forgetting to drop my card in the mail...I will do that soon, I actually have several. Was going to send them out days apart for when she is awake. Boy, I miss her and am excited that she will be waking up slowly and soon.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 09-13-2009 12:50 AM
Travis,

Thanks for the update. It seems like your mom is moving in the right direction, just a little on the slow side. I do miss her and I'm looking forward to seeing her soon.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-13-2009 08:28 PM
Thank you as always!! Who cares about the cosmetics...as long as Christine is healing that is all that matters!!
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 03:23 AM
Today my mom was awake and doing well they took her off the breathing machine and are talking about moving her out of the icu in a couple days.
Posted By: Dianeox Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 03:54 AM
Fantastic! Hugs to both of you!
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 04:39 AM
Travis, I've been checking the boards throughout the weekend hoping for a post like this. Hope things continue to go well.
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 04:46 AM
Wonderful news..we look forward to her first post!
Thanks Travis
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 04:49 AM
Oh yay! That sounds like great progress. How is she feeling??
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 10:19 AM
Now this is the post I have been waiting to read. Watch hugging her tho as she will be very fragile for awhile. Thanks Travis for posting this.
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 10:57 AM
Im definately coming for a visit this week!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 01:19 PM
That's some great news!!!
Posted By: Malka Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 09:11 PM
No hugs?

How about a giant cyberwave for Christine from her OCF fans
/////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////\\\\\\\\\\\

Way to go Christine!
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 10:36 PM
Today I went to see my mom and they put her in a chair so she can sit up. This was the most alert ive seen her since before the surgery she even waved bye to me when i left. She was trying to write things down but from the medication she couldnt write anything i could read. Im just happy shes taking big steps forward smile
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: ChristineB - 09-14-2009 11:35 PM
As are we Travis, as are we. Or like the chorus on Battlestar Galatica: [quote]So say we all, so say we all.[/quote]
Thank you again for your diligence and consideration
Charm
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 12:06 AM
I know I'm not the only one breathing a little easier!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 12:35 AM
This is great news!! I'm thrilled to hear this...
Posted By: boatswife Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 01:09 AM
What great news!
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 01:36 AM
Awe man you have made not just my day Trav but the last few weeks waiting to see her this far. Knowing you mom , she will be writng legibly by tomorrow afternoon. ((((((((((((((HUGS for that beautiful lady)))))))))))))))
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 01:51 AM
Travis,

That sure is exciting news. I don't want to rush my visit, so perhaps sometime by the end of next week can work. I'll keep checking your posts.

Say hi from Jerry.
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 02:00 AM
Fantastic news Travis..it gets better day by day !
Posted By: Bonniey Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 08:30 AM
That is absolutely wonderful news Travis about your mom. Thanks for the update.
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 12:10 PM
Each day gets brighter than the last - news we all like to hear for our Christine!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 12:16 PM
OK Christine stop milking this. Get your butt up and lets go dancing!! Donna's having a BD party on the Island.
Posted By: julieann Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 04:22 PM
Hello Christine and Travis:

I'm new to the forum, but am very impressed at the numerous warm get well messages you have received, Christine, and felt like I wanted to respond too because you evidently must be a wonderful person to have so many caring friends. So, please accept my wishes for a speedy and successful recovery, and a big hug for that wonderful son of yours.
julieann
Posted By: wfc Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 06:28 PM
Travis,

Tell you mom I have her in my prayers daily. She was always there for me when I went thru my dark tunnel.
Glad to hear she is getting better each day.
My best to you also.

WFC
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 06:51 PM
That is wonderful, wonderful news. I'm so glad to hear your mom is doing so well and will continue to send prayers and best wishes her way for a continued successful recovery. Take care.

Nancy T.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-15-2009 08:24 PM
No comment . I just wanted to see if Travis had posted today yet.
Posted By: August Re: ChristineB - 09-17-2009 01:46 AM
Wonderful news! You made my day! XOX
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 12:36 AM
Hey guys sry i havent been on in a awhile ive just been busy between my mom and getting ready to leave for usmc basic training next month. My moms doing good, she got moved out of the icu and put in the burn unit. Shes still not allowed to have flowers no matter how much i begged the nurses. She really wants people to come visit her so if anyone wants to see her shes in 3k thats the third floor and room 35 in the burn unit if they ask the password is ginger, anyone who lives close enough to visit her please do she really wants visitors. The doctors are saying shes gonna be going to rehab next week sometime and should be home in 3 weeks or less. P.S shes still really loopy from the meds lol.
Posted By: lorileona Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 01:16 AM
Hi Travis,
We will take our Christine, loopy or not. She is well loved here, as I'm sure she is at home. And I thank you for becoming a Marine to protect all of us. You are a special son.
Lori
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 01:44 AM
Travis,

That's wonderful news!! I'm really glad to hear she is making progress. I will try to stop by to see her after work tomorrow.

Is she allowed any books or magazines?
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 02:52 AM
Hi Travis,

Great to hear the good news. Between work and Dr's appts. next week, it looks like I will probably be able to get up there Thursday afternoon, the 24th.

Are there specific visiting hours?

Jerry
Posted By: August Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 03:53 AM
Thanks for sharing the good news of your mom's progress.

And thank YOU for your service to our country...and that means your service to EACH of us. XO--Colleen
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 09:06 AM
Thanks for the update Travis and I hope you like the Military. It's like everything else. Just wgat you make it. Good luck and give that gal a big hug from me. Jim
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 11:02 AM
Travis-I'll be there this Saturday. Probably toward noon.
Posted By: WendyG Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 11:24 AM
Thanks for the update Travis. Wish I lived closer so I could visit. It truly warms my heart to know she is recovering so well. Give her our love from Australia.

Wendy
Posted By: Malka Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 04:01 PM
Travis,
The news about your mother's progress is very encouraging. I wish I were near enough to visit.
I will have her in mind in my Rosh HaShonnah prayers. As we wish each other: "a good and sweet year."

Semper Fi
Posted By: mhupe Christine's Hospital Address and Visiting Hours - 09-18-2009 07:41 PM
Here is information for cards or visits:

Cedar Crest and I-78
P.O. Box 689
Allentown, PA 18105-1556

Visting hours are after 8:00 a.m. through 6:30 p.m. and then from 7:30 p.m. until early morning.

While she is in the burn unit, she is unable to receive flowers, magazines or anything. Also, leave purses and cell phones in your car...they are restrictive about what can be brought into the room. This will likely change when they move her to rehab.

I spoke to her today...I was thrilled to see her name pop up on my cell phone. She is sad and disappointed that she can't come home yet. When I read her the posts here about people planning to visit it really lifted her spirits!!
What is Christine's last name so I can send her a card.
Sandy
Christine Brader
I wish I could visit her, she's really been a source of inspiration and hope for me. Margaret, when you talk to her send her my best!

Eric
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 10:06 PM
I did tell Christine about the overwhelming support she is receiving from her OCF friends. I read some of the messages to her too. She misses everyone terribly! It's a shame they won't let her have a computer in her room. I think it would be nice for her and for us to have her posting again.

In about a week she will go to another location for rehab. Perhaps there she will have less restrictions and will have access to a computer.

As you might expect, our sleeping beauty is a little weak from being sedated so long, sore from the surgeries and sick and tired of being sick.

And, her wonderful son, Travis, was with her. I'm sure she is going to miss him when he goes to military training next month.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-18-2009 11:28 PM
Wow...this is great!! How wonderful that our girl is coming around. WendyG, you think Australia is too far to travel? lol...Just kidding!! I thought it was cute when I saw that.

I will definitly be making plans to see Christine. Sounds like when I took the series 6 exam for work. We could not bring anything with us. I was just happy I wasn't asked to wear my birthday suit. We couldn't even bring in a tissue.

Travis, I would also thank you for your service to us here at OCF and for serving our country:)
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-19-2009 02:00 AM
Thanks for the good news about Christine. That makes my day a little brighter.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 09-19-2009 03:04 AM
I went to see our Christine tonight. She looks good, obviously still has a lot of pain, and of course wants to get out of the hospital and come home!!

Unfortunately they have plans to keep her there for awhile. She is in the burn unit now, and in a few days will be transferred to the rehab center (which I think is in a different building).

This was the first day she was allowed visitors other than immediate family and she was really glad to see someone that wasn�t there to examine her or adjust her medication. As I said she is in the burn unit, and I came to the conclusion it would be easier to rob a bank than to get in there to visit someone without the proper password. And even with the password, I had to wait in the waiting room until someone would let me in, and then before I was allowed in the room I had to wash my hands, and put on a gown and gloves. Of course this was for Christine�s protection since and after what she has been through I certainly don�t want to add the risk of an infection.

The visiting hours Margaret posted are wrong � they do not allow visitors from 6:30 to 8:30 PM, not 7:30 PM and when I showed up at 7:30 they told me to have a seat until 8:30!! (Good thing I live nearby.)

She was off the breathing tube so she was able to talk to me. She really misses talking to everyone on OCF and I told her that everyone really misses her � the forum hasn�t been the same without her. I made a list of everyone who has posted a comment in this topic and gave it to Christine � it a really long list and she was really touched by everyone�s concern. I�m sure as soon as she can use the PC again she will back on offering advice to the rest of us!

If you haven�t done so already, please send her a card. I live nearby and will be back to see her every few days.
Posted By: TL4885 Re: ChristineB - 09-19-2009 04:42 AM
Thanks for the update. Christine is such a special person. She was one of the people on here who offered me so much support. I did not realize when I first came on that she was still fighting this battle herself. She was so focused on what I was going through. How amazing that is...such a beautiful giving heart. Please let her know that she is in my prayers and I will say a prayer for you as you join the USMC. Thank you for your service to keep our country a free place to live!! May God bless you and your family greatly. Teresa
Posted By: WendyG Re: ChristineB - 09-19-2009 10:54 AM
So glad to hear Christine is on the road to recovery. She is certainly one tough lady. To whoever see's her next please tell her I'm thinking about her. She's an inspiration.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-19-2009 02:51 PM
Thank you very much fpor the [ost and I can only imagine how bad she feels for wanting to leave that place and go home. I been there in the lost world but just for 7 days of space. Now near as many as Christine was, You did a nice thing by visiting her Susan. The next time you go, sqeeze her hand and tel her that's a temporay hug from me. The real hug is owed and will be given.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-19-2009 03:40 PM
Susan,

I'm so happy you got to see Christine. Thank you for correcting the visiting hours. I'll send an update to the FB group.

How nice that you gave her a list of everyone who replied to this topic. I don't know if she realized how much she is adored and missed by all.

Margaret
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-19-2009 10:42 PM
I just got back from visiting Christine. She looks great considering what she's been through. She was very alert and had a list of everyone who's been posting on this thread. I told she's like a celebrity and she couldn't understand why. She doesn't realize what an inspiration she is to people. Hopefully she will be going to rehab soon. She's lonely in that room all alone!
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-19-2009 11:27 PM
I went to see my mom today and suemarie was there, I could tell my mom was really happy that she had visitors. I help my mom walk everyday and shes going further and further each day. Its funny though she always says I wasnt there the day before for some reason she never remembers when i visit.
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: ChristineB - 09-20-2009 01:37 AM
Travis, I wouldn't be surprised if the pain meds are making her memory a little fuzzy. I'm really so happy to hear she's making progress. Each day a little bit further - sounds like a good plan for all of us smile
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-20-2009 01:47 AM
Travis, what a good son you are. It warms my heart that you help her walk every day. I'm sure you already know this, but I will say it anyway...she is on a lot of medication and I'm sure that is why she isn't remembering your visits. When this is over she is going to know you were the one who was there for her every step of the way. When do you leave for training? Who will be taking care of your mom?

I think I will take a trip this week and see her. I have to check my schedule at work. I want to try and spread out the visits so she has people there.

I'm sure Christine will read this thread when she can so...Christine, we love you and pray for you everyday. My sister and Aunt Marian have been praying for you and they ask about you a lot. My cousin Jeane is more of an energy person and she has been sending her energy to you. Bottom line...you will get better and we are all here for you!!!

xoxoxo

Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-20-2009 02:05 AM
Travis, she will forget about a lot more than that about your not being there, You will never know how bad this not remembering makes a person feel. I would give anything to be able to remember close to a year of my life. Your mom went thru hell even tho she was out of it. This I know 1st hand. It's terrible. You are a great son and I am glad she has you.. Jim
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 09-20-2009 04:48 AM
I know Christine will be in the hospital for a few more weeks, and I�m not sure when she will have access to a PC. If anyone wants to send her a PM, just send it to both her and me. Now that she is allowed visitors, I will be stopping in to see her a few times a week and I will be glad to print it out and take it to her to read. She can�t have flowers, but paper was OK to bring in the room. Then when she gets back on-line and is recuperating at home, she can keep busy responding to all your well wishes.

When I gave her the long list of everyone who has been posting on this thread, I don�t think she really believed me. And I know she is a little down in the dumps � I certainly would be � so perhaps this will bring a smile to her face.

Travis, your mom did tell me that you�ve been there every day. She has been through hell and back, and between the medication and being locked up in that room it is enough to play tricks on your mind. A year from now this will just be a bad memory for her and for you. Just keep doing what you�ve been doing � she really does appreciate it.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-20-2009 11:11 AM
Christine will remember a lot less about being in that room all tis time than you can imagine.The only thing I really remember is something about pink elephants LOL ,, this is the truth. They were on a hil outside my room and I had no hill there. I guess that is why I was told and stimm am that I really don't want to know about that journey, Same for Christine.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-20-2009 02:21 PM
lol...nice memory Jim!! Charm was in for a while too...you guys are troopers!! I was in for 1 night and I didn't like it.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 09-21-2009 01:02 AM
Susan,

I sent you an email for Christine.

What a great idea!!!!

Jerry
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-21-2009 10:18 AM
She couldn't wait to show me that list of people who have been posting to this thread. What an amazing group you all are. I can't help but think we've found each other for a reason. I've never seen a group of "strangers" support one another and the caregivers with such compassion.
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: ChristineB - 09-21-2009 02:42 PM
I agree Suemarie, I have said it before many times, I am in awe of all of the people on this forum. I read this every night and the support shown for everyone is overwhelming!! I wish somehow there can be a "reunion" for everyone so all could meet and just give a hug to everyone.

You are all an inspiration to me.

Susan
Posted By: slim Re: ChristineB - 09-21-2009 03:53 PM
Susan, thank you so much for reaching out and thinking of the PM idea. I sent one to you to share with Christine and also sent it to her to have.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-21-2009 05:28 PM
I sent her a message to my stuff in the forums so that when she can use the computer or laptop, she will have one to read. That is much more personal I think. Bt it's a good idea Sue.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-21-2009 05:31 PM
I think by now all that have gotten to know me have figured out that I am no follower and never have been or will be.
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-22-2009 08:21 PM
Hey guys just a quick post today my mom moves to the rehab hospital. It is a different location from the main hospital. The doctors say she shouldnt be there long. She isnt allowed any visitors except for family but i will keep everyone updated on her progress.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-22-2009 11:15 PM
Thanks for the update, Travis. That is great news! Is she allowed flowers yet?
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-23-2009 12:08 AM
That is great news. Bummer that she can't have visitors but good that she is moving on to rehab. Thank you for the update Travis!!
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 09-23-2009 12:46 AM
Travis,

So being part of your mom's OCF family won't be good enough to get me in to see her on Thursday. So I guess I will put my plans to visit your mom on hold.

Please let me know when she can have visitors.

Jerry
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-23-2009 12:52 AM
Thanks for the update Travis. I'm sure the Drs know best . Tell her I am waiting for the day we can eat steak together as planned. LOL we will need a meat grinder I bet. LOL
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-23-2009 02:31 AM
Jim...I have heard that steak in the blender is great. Don't forget the mushrooms and onions!! I gotta tell you...I had steak the other day and it wasn't very good. Turns out I'm not the meat eater I once was. I really prefer pasta...any kind of pasta. I guess that will happen when you marry into an Italian family. I've learned some great recipies too!! Too bad I can't have everyone over and cook some yummy food. Seriously, who enjoys food more than OC survivor?!?!
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 09-23-2009 02:59 PM
Jim, you don't need to be a follower to be a very special person. Take care.
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 09-23-2009 03:03 PM
Thanks for the update about your Mom - so glad to hear she's made it to rehab. She'll be on her way home soon! I want to thank you for all your posts - you're a good son, Travis. And I to am wishing you all the best as you go into the Marines - THANK YOU!
Posted By: Eileen Re: ChristineB - 09-23-2009 09:41 PM
I am glad to see she has been moved to rehab. Hopefully she will be home soon. Once she is home can you post her home address so we can send her cards. Tell her we are thinking of her.

Eileen
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-23-2009 11:42 PM
Suzanne, Pasta and steaks were always my favorite. The steaks are our, but I do remeber the word lol and the pasta can be oatmeak=l or cream of wheat and it wouls still have the same taste, It's funny how the smells are great but the taste a zilch.The smells are the Diary of OC patients LOL
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-23-2009 11:42 PM
Damn, I have to slow down trying to type
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-23-2009 11:44 PM
Travis, I just have to say this, The Marines won't have to make a man out of you. You are alredy one great man going in. Anyone would be proud to call you SON.
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-24-2009 03:03 PM
Hey guys just went to see my mom I cheered her up a little bit by bringing her Mcdonalds sweet tea and some flowers.... yes she finnaly can have flowers if anyone wants to send anything she is at the lehighvalley hospital on 17th and chew street in allentown she is on the 5th floor in room 24. Other than that I spoke to her doctor and he said they are gonna do another small surgery to clean everything up to get her ready to go home smile
Posted By: Dianeox Re: ChristineB - 09-24-2009 05:13 PM
That's great news, Travis! The Marines are lucky to have you join them. You'll have the largest extended family in boot camp! Hugs to you and your Mom.....
Posted By: Dianeox Re: ChristineB - 09-24-2009 05:16 PM
Jim,
I love it when you don't slow down to type...I just love a good word puzzle...LOL!
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-24-2009 05:28 PM
Cecilia, our wonderful flower fund raiser, is on a vacation in Italy until the 27th. I tried texting her but I do not know if the message got through.

In the interim, I ordered some balloons and a magazine to be sent to her room with a card from all of us telling her that a big bouquet was coming soon and we were all thinking of her and wishing her the best.

I'll continue to try to reach Cecilia. If anyone from the UK would like to help please PM me, I'll email you her cell number. I'm not sure my calling plan has international capabilities.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-24-2009 05:30 PM
Also, I found out when I ordered the balloons that you can send her a message through the hospital web site. Click on this link:

http://www.lvhn.org/lvhn/Contact_Us|1124

Enter the information requested:

Christine Brader
For Room (Put 5th floor room 24 at 17th & Chew)
For site, click on "Cedar Crest"

Posted By: Cookey Re: ChristineB - 09-24-2009 06:15 PM
friends from the uk lol i wonder who that could be.You know my e-mail address .Oh by the way your links dont!
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-24-2009 10:40 PM
Hi Liz! I just sent you a note on Facebook...that's the only email I have for Cecilia so I thought I'd cc both of you in the event she has a chance to check on that account. If you could reach her, I'd be very grateful! Thanks!

The link worked for me, I wonder if it's a UK thing. The main web address is: http://www.lvhn.org/

From there, I went to "contact us" and then to "send a card".

Let me know if that works.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 09-24-2009 11:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I had a great visit with our dear friend, Christine today. It was great seeing her and she has reconfirmed my feelings that she is one of the strongest people that I know.

She is overwhelmed by all the concern, love and posting that is going on about her. She doesn't understand how she could be missed so much. After about an hour and a half, I think I convinced her.

As posted above, she will have some more minor surgery next week and then hopefully go home soon after that. She has occupational therapy in the morning and physical therapy in the afternoon. Somehow, I luckily got there beween both of them.

There's no doubt that she has been through some really tough times and there certainly is some more to go. They have her pain pretty well under control. Her most uncomfortable area is where the skin graft was taken from her forearm. They have a drain in that area and I think that is causing the discomfort.

She is sorry that she can't make it to the David Nasto walk on Sat., but is determined to make the New York walk in April and next year's walk for David.

Christine can't wait to get back on the internet and the forum and asked me to send her love to everyone.

I met Travis and he is one devoted son. He spends a great deal of time with her every day and was there all the time even when she wasn't awake. He leaves for the Marines in about a month and will surely serve our country well.

Jerry
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-24-2009 11:20 PM
What a great post, Jerry! She is one amazing lady. And, Travis is one super individual as well. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I'm glad you got to see her, I am sure that made her day!!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-24-2009 11:58 PM
Jerry..that is great you got to see her!! I thought she couldn't have visitors but it sounds like you just have to get there at the right time. She is such a great lady...I'm thrilled to hear the good news.
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 09-25-2009 12:30 AM
Great news Jerry and I had no problem sending a card just now.
I will continue to check on her progress here.
Gabriele
Posted By: Jenka Re: ChristineB - 09-25-2009 03:16 AM
That's great news! Will Christine have enough help at home?
Posted By: Cookey Re: ChristineB - 09-25-2009 04:47 AM
I sent her a card i just hope it gets there.Thanks margaret and i will get onto the text in the morning.xx
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 09-25-2009 11:12 AM
I'm really not sure how she will manage, but I do rememebr that she pretty much handled things on her own the last 2 times. Of course, this time, the treatment was much more involved than before.

With Travis going into the Marines next month, I am concerned.

Since she took an apartment that is closer to the hospital than her house, travel for follow-up will be easier.

Jerry
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-25-2009 11:22 AM
I would bet that Travis has already checked into someone checking on Christine for when he leaves for the Marines.He is too good of a son to overlook that.
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-25-2009 02:34 PM
No need to worrie guys my girlfriend will be coming by everyday to help my mom out.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-25-2009 03:30 PM
I just knew you had it covered Travis.. You are only one of thousands of military people, but just seeing howdependable you are with your mom makes me feel safer in our country.
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 09-25-2009 08:15 PM
Sounds like you've got everything under control, Travis. Good job!!! Thanks to Margaret for the link so I could send Christine a card - that was great. Glad to hear she is doing so well and continue to send positive thoughts and prayers her way.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-26-2009 03:34 PM
Diane,, me too LOL but wnen you get lost on your own puzzle, It's problem time. Oh am I ever good at that.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-26-2009 04:00 PM
It works!!! I got confirmation today that Christine is receiving the e-cards from the hospital site!!

This is a free service, and a way to get your message directly to Christine.

Use the web link below (if it is not clickable, you can copy and paste the URL)

Christine Brader
For Room # Enter the following (5th floor, room 24 at 17th & Chew)

After you select the card design, scroll to the bottom and enter the security code. Then, click on "send card".
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 09-26-2009 04:08 PM
That's awesome Margaret...thank you!! I have a feeling Christine will be bombarded with e-cards:)

I just sent one and it was easy!!
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: ChristineB - 09-26-2009 07:13 PM
Margaret

Thanks for the web site to send a card. this should be clickable
christine card
Your info was excellent, all I would add is not to forget to enter the security code at the end before you click, i overlooked the box and had to start over Thank you again for sharing this link.
charm
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-26-2009 10:05 PM
Travis-I have someone that might be interested in your mom's house. Can you let me know the phone number for your realtor and i will pass the info on.
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-28-2009 11:22 AM
Hey guys quick update on my mom. They are moving her back to the cedar crest location, she has a slight fever and they want to keep a better eye on it there. Other than that she is doing well im tring to get her to eat more and more everyday.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 09-28-2009 06:07 PM
Travis,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the fever isn't anything serious.

Is she back in the burn unit? Will she be allowed visitors? How about flowers? Do you have room # so we can send cards?
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 09-29-2009 01:10 AM
My mom wanted me to thank everyone for there support. She is back in the cedar crest location because of her fever. It turns out that fever was caused from blood poisoning the doctors are saying she will be in the hospital for another two weeks. She said she can have visitors again so thats atleast some good news smile she is on floor 6k room 27 if anyone would like to see her.
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: ChristineB - 09-29-2009 01:58 AM
Oh no! Travis, tell your Mom that moving backward is NOT acceptable! And that I'm sending out all my good energies to her.

- Margaret
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-29-2009 02:50 AM
If you send a card or ecard or plan to visit...please use this new address:

Cedar Crest and I-78
P.O. Box 689
Floor 6k Room 27
Allentown, PA 18105-1556

Hope she is feeling better soon. She can have visitors. I am assuming her password is still "ginger".
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-29-2009 03:37 AM
P.S. Travis confirmed that the flowers Cecilia ordered on behalf of the group were delivered to her today.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 09-29-2009 12:49 PM
Hope they were still fresh!! lol
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-29-2009 05:34 PM
Of course they were fresh...Cecilia ordered them after she returned from Italy on Sunday. Fortunately they were able to track her down and get the flowers to her new location. I tell you, that Christine of ours can be a moving target. ;-)
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 09-29-2009 07:38 PM
I'm glad to hear that Christine was able to get her flowers - hope they were huge and gorgeous for her to enjoy looking at!!! Thanks for letting us know she got them.

Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 09-30-2009 02:43 AM
Christine's Birthday is on Thursday! You can send her a free card through the hospital web site. As you know, she was moved to a new location, updates to the previous instructions are below.

This is a free service, cards entered in the afternoon are delivered the next day.

Use the web link below (if it is not clickable, you can copy and paste the URL)

Christine Card Link

Christine Brader
For Room # Enter the following (Floor 6K, Room 27 )

After you select the card design, scroll to the bottom and enter the security code. Then, click on "send card".
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 09-30-2009 03:31 AM
I stopped to see Christine tonight. She looks great and is feeling better than the last time I saw her.

She will be in the hospital about 2 more weeks and will be at the Cedar Crest location until she goes home. For those in the area, visiting hours are from 11AM to 8PM.

The flowers are beautiful, and are very "fresh".
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 09-30-2009 10:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I will try to get there again soon. Is that the original location?
Posted By: WendyG Re: ChristineB - 09-30-2009 11:40 AM
Thanks for the update Susan. So happy to hear she is doing well.

Wendy
Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 09-30-2009 12:23 PM
Thanks Margaret, that was easy!!
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 09-30-2009 03:45 PM
Thank you Margaret, I just sent her a card too. Jim
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: ChristineB - 09-30-2009 03:57 PM
margaret

Thank you for the update - just sent a birthday card as well- great job on the instructions and link - esp the reminder about the security code needing to be entered for impatient people like me who otherwise overlook that tiny box underneath it
charm

Susan
thanks for the in person report on our gal and her fresh flowers.
charm
Posted By: boatswife Re: ChristineB - 09-30-2009 07:56 PM
I just sent a card, along with some pictures of Sitka.

Happy Birthday Christine!
Posted By: Eileen Re: ChristineB - 09-30-2009 09:23 PM
I just sent her a Birthday Card and just put 6th floor. Oops, hope it gets there. Glad she is finally allowed to have flowers. Hopefully they cheered her up.

Happy Birthday Christine. We miss you.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Cecilia Re: ChristineB - 09-30-2009 10:12 PM
Just sent my card too.
I am so relieved the flowers are nice. I tried to have them sent when i was in italy, but I was in the middle of the mountains by then and internet connection was somewhat unreliable. I got disconnected when I clicked on payment. The shop people were helpful though I asked them to re-email me the invoice and paid when i got home to mountainless Surrey where internet is more constant.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 10-01-2009 12:28 AM
Cecilia, thanks for coordinating all of the OCF funds and sending the flowers! I'm glad so many people have sent e-cards for her birthday tomorrow. She really misses her OCF family.
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 10-01-2009 12:45 AM
Not good having the birthday in hospital and hope the cards (and flowers) cheer Christine up....have just sent mine
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 10-01-2009 03:23 AM
My mom wanted me to thank everyone for the cards shes still amazed at how many people care about her. I got her one of those snuggie blankets for her birthday to cheer her up that way she can be warm in the hospital. She also wanted to tell everyone that she has MRSA i guess its a form of blood poisoning.
Posted By: caanjo Re: ChristineB - 10-01-2009 01:59 PM
Travis,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom. The snuggie blanket is a great gift she can feel your warmth and love all the time!
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 10-02-2009 01:07 AM
Travis, thanks for keeping us updated. I spoke to your mom just briefly today...she said the hospital staff sang her happy birthday. And, she was delighted to get everyone's cards. But, it still has to be tough to spend a birthday in the hospital. Hope the MRSA infection clears soon!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 10-02-2009 01:42 AM
Man...our poor girl!!! MRSA?! Really? Hadn't she dealt with enough? I feel like I missed so much here..I missed 2 days from logging in and all sorts of stuff is happening...lol

Note to self: only skip one day at a time
Posted By: August Re: ChristineB - 10-02-2009 04:33 AM
Happy Birthday, Christine! I want to add my voice to the "chorus" who wish that each day....starting NOW....is better for you than the one before it!!

XO--Colleen
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 10-05-2009 01:48 AM
Does anyone have an update on Christine?
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 10-05-2009 02:05 PM
Hey guys my moms doing ok the doctors found out the infection she had was bacteria on her skin not in her blood so it wasnt mrsa but still dangerous. she goes it thismorning for surgery to fix her lower lip and to clean up all of her wounds.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 10-05-2009 05:41 PM
Travis, do you know when she will be able to take phone calls again or have visitors? Glad to hear the infections wasn't mrsa. Really hope she is well enough to go home soon!
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 10-05-2009 08:55 PM
Travis, thanks for the good news.

Say hi to your mom for me. I'll try calling her later in the week.

Jerry
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 10-05-2009 09:02 PM
Finally some good news for our girl!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 10-05-2009 10:45 PM
This sounds good!! Thank you Travis
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 10-06-2009 12:31 AM
Thanks again Travis. You are the #1 son going thru OCF forums. When I called her, she told me i must have the wrong number. It took me 3 trys to say my name so she understood it, LOL Not her fault, Mine becuse I forgot how bad I talk..But then we did have a nice chat. Until the nurse took over.
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 10-06-2009 07:48 PM
Today I went to see my mom shes looking alot better the doctors fixed up her lip and added a couple small skin grafts to patch everything up. She hopefully will be home in about two weeks.
Posted By: Cecilia Re: ChristineB - 10-06-2009 08:29 PM
That's great news. I am so glad she is doing well. thanks for the update.
Posted By: Shelley K Re: ChristineB - 10-06-2009 08:52 PM
Wonderful news! I bet she's anxious to go home. You are such a good son Travis. Your Mom sure raised you right!

Hugs,

Shelley
Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 10-06-2009 09:27 PM
So when will she be able to use a computer? She must be going bonkers by now.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 10-06-2009 10:39 PM
Yep Travis, your Mom still has the gumption to whip this stuff again. It sounded like she was ready to do whatever is needed to win again. My hero that lady.
Posted By: walknlite Re: ChristineB - 10-07-2009 01:12 AM
Thanks for all the updates. I have been praying for her and for you. I am glad she is getting better.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 10-07-2009 02:10 AM
Travis,

Glad your mom is doing better. I'm sure she is ready to get home...gosh, it's been a long time. I hope she will be home in two weeks.

Is it ok to call her, or is she in pain from this last surgery?

Margaret
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 10-08-2009 08:38 PM
Thanks for the quick link - just sent Christine a belated birthday card!!! It's nice that the hospital has this available.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 10-08-2009 11:50 PM
I spoke to Christine today. She is feeling weak from her last surgery although she is and will get better every day. The infection is under control and she is ready for visitors again. And, cards, she has been LOVING the cards she has received.

She begged for a computer the other day, they will not let her have one at that darned hospital. Hopefully in a couple of weeks she'll be home. My that is one LONG hospital stay!

She appreciates all your good wishes!
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 10-09-2009 12:00 AM
Travis, it is coat and sweat shirt season Hum maybe you could hide a laptop under one or the other so she can send out any type of message to anyone. LOL My son brought me one into Ohio State CCC. I did get out a couple of messages.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 10-09-2009 12:07 AM
This is great news!! I have to tell you guys something funny. I bought Christine a card and on the front it has a picture of an older cartoon man walked out of the hospital with the gown open in the back...inside it says, "i hope you get color back in your cheeks real soon" LOL I was dying laughing in Walgreens and people were looking at me..I had to buy it.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 10-09-2009 01:21 AM
It couldn't have been more appropriate.

Jerry
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: ChristineB - 10-09-2009 02:15 AM
Thanks for the update, Margaret! And of course, thank you Travis. Christine is never far from my thoughts so news of her progress is much appreciated.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 10-09-2009 02:50 AM
I had a nice visit with Christine tonight. She is looking much better than the last time I saw her. But she so much wants to go home! It certainly has been a long hospital stay � 45 days already!!

She does appreciate all the cards and well wishes, and she really misses chatting with all her OCF family.

She is in the new �state-of-the-art� section of the hospital, and it has just about everything in the patient�s room � except for internet access. They do have wireless access in other parts of the hospital for the public and patients to use; however, they won�t let Christine venture down there. I�m sure if she got that close to the door, she may just leave!!

Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 10-09-2009 01:04 PM
Margaret,

Sneak her in a small notebook.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 10-09-2009 01:17 PM
Lol.....I bet she can't wait to get back on the computer. She will have a lot to read on this thread alone!!

Susan...she can have visitors now? I was waiting to see what was happening. I know Travis said her therapy sessions are intense and they were saying no visitors. It will take me about 2, 2.5 hours to get there so I would hate to go all that way and have her not be available:)
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 10-09-2009 02:35 PM
Suzanne,

She is back at the main hospital on Cedar Crest, isn't getting therapy and is pretty much confined to her room. So she would love to have visitors.
Posted By: TravisB Re: ChristineB - 10-10-2009 06:37 AM
my mom wanted me to post that she says thank you for the t shirts from the walk
Posted By: WendyG Re: ChristineB - 10-10-2009 12:01 PM
Thanks for the updates everyone. For anyone that is going to see her please pass along my thoughts and love for a very special lady.

Wendy
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 10-10-2009 11:48 PM
Thank you Susan
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: ChristineB - 10-11-2009 03:13 AM
Travis, please tell her she is welcome. That is the least I can do for her! I sent one for you as well!! I am glad she is doing better and please give her my best!!!

Susan
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 10-11-2009 05:29 PM
I was finally able to hook up with Christine by phone this morning. She sounded good and is very anxious to get out of the hospital. She is finishing her last round of antibiotics today and hopes to be going home this week, I think.

She is not going back to the therapy area and I assume that they will have someone work with her at home on this.

She misses everyone and sends her love.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 10-12-2009 01:00 AM
Glad you were in touch with her today. I do hope she gets to go home soon! Thanks for the update!
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 10-12-2009 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the updates. Glad to hear Christine is getting better every day. I know she will be so glad when she can be free to go home ... and get back on the forum. I know she doesn't want to be there for the 2-month mark!!!
Posted By: boatswife Re: ChristineB - 10-12-2009 08:14 PM
I'm happy to hear that she's breaking out of the joint very soon! There's just no place like home!
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 10-13-2009 01:37 AM
If I know Christine, I would bet she would fight a Tiger to get out of there right now. Just heal and stay better for ever Christine. Pretty lady like you will find her another man and live 50 more years in bliss. Luv Ya lady
Posted By: Malka Re: ChristineB - 10-13-2009 01:58 AM
Travis, how are you doing? I hope your mom will be able to see you off properly and not with a hug from her hospital bed.

Thanks to all who have seen and spoken with Christine for the updates. The real cheering will be when she goes home.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 10-13-2009 02:31 AM
I stopped to see Christine tonight, and she is looking and feeling better, and hoping to be heading home soon. We even took a walk around the hospital wing. I asked her if she wanted to head out the door (I think she was real tempted), but since she still was still connected to some IV's and other equipment we decided it wasn�t the best idea. Plus it was only 50 degrees out so a bit nippy for those hospital gowns!

She really appreciates all the prayers, cards and well wishes.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 10-13-2009 11:55 AM
Thanks for the post Susan, I am glad you are close enough to visit. Give her a hug from me next time.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 10-13-2009 02:08 PM
How wonderful...it's always better to be home. Jerry, do you have a ph# for Christine's room or did you just call the hospital? I would love to call her. I have a nasty cold/flu right now so visiting is out for this week....
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 10-13-2009 10:56 PM
I'll email you her cell phone number.

I've been following your cold on Facebook. Hope you're feeling better and back to work soon.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 10-13-2009 11:02 PM
lol...thanks Jerry!!
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 10-15-2009 03:43 AM
Any word on our girl, Christine??
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 10-16-2009 12:54 AM
Margaret,

Have you tried calling? I have laryngitis and haven't been able to call.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 10-17-2009 05:01 AM
I stopped to see Christine on Friday. She is making progress and hopeful to be going home soon.
Posted By: walknlite Re: ChristineB - 10-17-2009 11:48 AM
I am so glas that Christine is getting better. She ha sbeen in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be. If someone could email me her cell phone number, I would love to call her since I am too far away to go see her. Thanks.
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 10-17-2009 09:05 PM
Thanks Susan,
I am so looking forward to Christine's first post and hope she is well enough to go home soon.
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 10-19-2009 10:08 PM
Just got back from seeing Christine today. She is truly an amazing woman-but that's not a surprise to anyone who knows her. She is weak but coming along. Fingers crossed that she will be home soon.

Sue
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 10-19-2009 11:46 PM
As for one that wasn't out that length of time. She will need a lot of exercise to reagin enought energy and strength to clmb her stairs. It is much harder than I thought that it would ever be. I am sure that when Chriastine is back, she will let us all know it. Jim
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 01:26 AM
SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im back smile

It will take me a long time to recover but I wanted to say a huge thanks for everything my OCF pals have done for me.
Posted By: debandbill Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 01:29 AM
So glad to see you sweetie...get strong and we will be here for you.

Hugs,

Deb
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 01:33 AM
Happy days are here again!!!

Welcome back. Welcome home.

I need your home phone number so when you are up to it, email me.
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 01:35 AM
Fabulous news, I am so relieved!!! :-)
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 01:46 AM
Welcome Home!!

I am so relieved that you are finally home. Make sure you take it easy and don't overdo it!

Remember, I'm only a few miles away, so if you need anything, just call.
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 01:50 AM
WELCOME HOME CHRISTINE!!!! So glad you are home! Just take it easy.

I have been thinking of you always. You truly have so many friends on this board, it is amazing how much love was sent your way!!

Take care
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 02:53 AM
Hooray,
Great to see you back Christine.
Now you need to take very good care of yourself and make sure you do take your time recovering.
Love
Gabriele
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 03:21 AM
As I said in facebook, welcome back woman!! You have just made my day. I look forward to seeing your posts as soon as you are able.

Donna
Posted By: Markus Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 05:12 AM
Welcome back!

Markus
Posted By: Bonniey Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 07:08 AM
Welcome Back Christine - I am so happy to see a message from you personally. Take care and get strong, we're all here praying and pulling for you. God bless.

Bonnie
Posted By: Cookey Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 07:32 AM
Welcome home honey xx
Posted By: Malka Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 10:55 AM
Christine, This is great news to start the day. May you have only sushine from now on.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 12:54 PM
Man it's about time...you really played this little thing out as far as you could take it so lets get back to work!!! lol
Posted By: Geri Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 01:20 PM
Hi Christine,

As Dorothy would say, "There's no place like home." It's great news that you are out of the hospital and can start to get your life back again. Even though you may not see it in yourself, it is obvious to all of us that you truly are a strong and inspirational woman. We are all so thankful that you are back with us. I'm looking forward to reading about your progress. Take care....Geri
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 01:44 PM
Christine: WONDERFUL NEWS
Everyone has worried about you in the hospital and now we are all so glad you are finally back. Just relax and recover from the surgery & the hospital experience. Congratulations on raising such a fine thoughtful son as Travis. He kept us updated and his love for you shone through each post.
charm
Posted By: slim Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 01:47 PM
WELCOME HOME!!!

Christine, It is so good to hear you are finally home. Take care of you - rest, relax and recover. It's so good to have you back! Hugs, Wanda
Posted By: Eileen Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 05:30 PM
Hi Christine,

Welcome home. Take a hot bath and wash your hair. Relax and Enjoy!

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Sophie H. Re: ChristineB - 10-20-2009 05:44 PM
Welcome back! We sure have missed you and are so relieved to have you back.

Sophie H.
Posted By: August Re: ChristineB - 10-21-2009 02:06 AM
Welcome back, Christine. You've brightened my day! XO--Colleen
Posted By: RPCV Re: ChristineB - 10-21-2009 06:36 AM
Christine,

Your OCF Family missed you! We need you.

Welcome Home!
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: ChristineB - 10-21-2009 10:13 AM
Christine - Bet it feels wonderful to finally be back at home and on the road to healing. We all look forward to your return to the OCF board. Hugs, Jane
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 10-21-2009 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. They mean alot to me smile

Ive forgotten how bad you can feel battling cancer. Was struggling yesterday, thought I would go right back to the hospital. Saw my ENT who reassured me that Im doing very well. My son (Travis) ordered me home and in bed w/ the feeding pump running. Doing a little better now thanks to Travis.
Posted By: walknlite Re: ChristineB - 10-21-2009 11:40 AM
Welcome Home. Prayers are continuing for you.
Posted By: Dianeox Re: ChristineB - 10-21-2009 05:56 PM
Christine,
So glad to hear that you are home. We all look forward to reading your posts again, but take a nap first...sleeping is healing! Hugs to you and Travis!
Diane
Posted By: wfc Re: ChristineB - 10-21-2009 09:06 PM
Christine,

I have been out of town and today I saw that you are home, must feel good huh?
I will continue to pray for you. Take care and go slow!

WFC
Posted By: mhupe Re: ChristineB - 10-21-2009 11:47 PM
Christine,

Sorry your first day home was a tough one. I hope each day gets better and better!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 10-22-2009 12:15 AM
Christine,

There are definitly going to be some hard times and we all wish you didn't have to deal with this. But you are an amazing woman and you are strong. We all love you here and I hope that helps you.

xoxo
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 10-22-2009 12:47 AM
Christine, When you get the time. lewt me know how much memory you lost. I lost about 9 months pre out of it but that could be from the implants . really hope you didn't lose any. LOL I didn't have much to lose anyway so I have a prob;em. LOL Got myself laughing now. Luv Ya lady and I am so glad you are home again.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 10-22-2009 04:28 PM
I just got off the phone with Christine. She is feeling better today. Yesterday was a rough one and she thought she would have to go back to the hospital. She toughed it out and is happy that she didn't have to go.

Getting around is tough for her and right now she is in bed resting and has the feeding tube going 24/7.

Travis leaves for the Marines on Sunday. The timing really sucks.

I suggested that she call the ACS and see if they will do transportation for her to appointments. She does have a friend from work that can drive her on Mondays and she arranged for her next visit to the doc for Monday 11/1.

She sends her love to everyone and wishes she could spend more time on the computer.

Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 10-22-2009 11:21 PM
Take as much time as needed Christine, The future is what you need to plan for now, You are the LADY of this place it seems. You sure do deserve that title after all the posting you did up until surgery time. My female hero and I don't consider that for many people just like idols, I have none of those either.
Posted By: RPCV Re: ChristineB - 10-23-2009 02:38 AM
Christine,

I so admire your strength. I continue to will you all of mine; mentally and spiritually. May you heal quickly.

All of us, who care so deeply about you, touch each other through the magic of cyberspace and generate a spark that encompasses you, and fills your room with light and love.
Posted By: boatswife Re: ChristineB - 10-23-2009 09:00 PM
Welcome Home!!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 10-24-2009 09:49 AM
Jerry, thanks for posting for me. Past few days have been better. I think Im falling into a routine, need lots of help with it this time around. So far so good.

Due to some paperwork mistakes, my son has been delayed in leaving for boot camp. He was ready to go and will leave sometime with the next 3 weeks. Im selfishly glad, I wasnt ready for him to leave yet. He is a huge help to me and I will be much more stable the longer he is home. Even one week more will make a big difference.

Im never going to catch up with all the posts Ive missed during the past 2 months. Sadly, so many new people to welcome.

Patty, thank you for the lovely pictures of Alaska.
Posted By: August Re: ChristineB - 10-24-2009 02:18 PM
Christine, God works in mysterious......or NOT so mysterious!! ways, it seems. I was worried about Travis leaving you alone quite yet, and it seems that the Big Guy knew you needed him at home a little longer. I'm betting that Travis is relieved too, not to have to leave you when you still need help at home. You can be really proud of your son!! I hope each day is better than the last! XO--Colleen
Posted By: Dianeox Re: ChristineB - 10-24-2009 05:15 PM
Glad to see that you are doing better. I'm also glad that Travis' boot camp has been delayed. That's good for both of you! I know that you could recouperate by yourself, but it will be so much easier with him there to help.

Hugs~
Diane
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 10-24-2009 07:42 PM
So happy that Travis can stay home for a bit longer..that is good news.
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 10-24-2009 10:21 PM
I am sure you and Travis are both happy to be spending a little more time together Christine.
Keep getting a little better and stronger with each day.
{{{Love Gabriele}}}}
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 10-25-2009 12:28 AM
LOL .. It happened again Christine. I type a long one and the computer weasels at it before I could send it. When Travis answered the telephone this evening when I called you, he sounde so mature after all he has gone thru with his fantastic mother. He is quite the young man and the Marines should be glad to have him as one of them.As for you young lady, you sounded fantastic too and your words were crystal clear. You are one tough lady. I am proud to say I know Christine Brader and she is my buddy for life. You are one that deserves the name LADY or MAM. No one deserves them more. I am looking forward to the day we go have our steak dinner and can talk across the table and not the internet. Thanks for being so nice and such an intelligent lady. God gave you the best of everything. Your Buddy for life,, Jim
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: ChristineB - 10-25-2009 02:10 AM
Christine - I am (((secretly))) happy you have Travis home for a while yet too, as it will be comforting to have this caring and thoughtful son to watch over you for a couple more weeks. God does work in mysterious ways. smile
Funny, cuz my husband, who rarely comes in here, asked me in the car a couple days ago, "how is that lady in OCF?" I knew he was talking about you because he read the Facebook entries come thru our regular email. I think he was happy to hear me say you just got home, as we all are! If I remember, you and he share an Oct. 1 birthday too. Welcome home, dear lady!
Posted By: SandySt. Re: ChristineB - 10-25-2009 03:02 AM
Christine:
So glad you're home and Travis will be there to help you a little longer. Rest and concentrate on getting stronger.
Sandyst
Posted By: boatswife Re: ChristineB - 10-25-2009 05:58 AM
I'm glad you liked the pictures of Alaska. I'm also glad that you're son is able to stay a little longer with you. If his girlfriend would like an online group for military support, there are some really good ones that I can direct her to.

Always thinking of you and I hope you get back to feeling better real soon.
Posted By: rubyann Re: ChristineB - 10-26-2009 12:08 AM
Been keeping you in my prayers, I'm so glad you are able to be home. Try to take it easy and take care of your self. You were my rock, when I needed you.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: ChristineB - 10-29-2009 02:43 PM
I spoke to Christine about an hour ago and she sounded good. She said she feels OK and has plenty of help right now. Travis and his girlfriend as well as her daughter were there.

I was going to try to visit tomorrow, but I still have a lingering cough and sniffles and the last thing I want to do is give her a cold.

Travis will be around until the middle of November. Great news.
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 10-29-2009 09:09 PM
I've been off the forum for awhile w/swine flu but am over it now and just got back on to check on you and surprise!!!!! I am delighted to see you back on here and will continue reading now to catch up!!! Take care - love to you and Travis!!!
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 11-10-2009 02:50 AM
You requested a read only blog and I have just read your latest news on it.
Thought I would post here to say how happy I am to hear that you are doing so well.
It must be a great feeling to gain back your independence and be able to do so much for yourself now. Especially now that it is getting closer to Travis�s departure.
Hope you continue to get stronger with every day.
{{{Gabriele}}}
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 11-10-2009 02:56 AM
Gabe, thanks for your well wishes. Im doing much better than I thought. After such a rough time in the hospital and when I came home, I thought it would take me longer to get to this point.

Hope all is well with you and your birdies smile
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 11-11-2009 01:25 AM
So glad to hear things are going well Christine.
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 11-19-2009 09:16 PM
I'm very happy for you that you are getting better quicker than you expected. That's great - keep it up !!!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 11-20-2009 01:02 AM
Im currently battling an ear infection. There is also a large wound that is still healing from my surgery that now is infected. It was doing great, the wound vac was taken off, now its a step backwards. The wound vac will go back on. Im being checked for other bacterial infections too, maybe mersa again frown

Besides those setbacks, I feel good. Just trying to stay busy so I dont fret too much over Travis not being here. Darn kid was my companion everywhere, now I feel very much alone.

Lets all now focus our prayers and well wishes on Jim. He called me last night, sounding positive. He told me he will be moving in with his daughter which is a very smart move. Now he will have family there with him. Next week he goes back for another consult, then he will know more.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 11-20-2009 01:14 AM
Thank you for the update on Jim...

I'm sorry to hear about your setbacks, I'm sure it is frustrating. I will still be thinking of you and praying for you and Jim:)

xoxo
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 11-23-2009 07:35 PM
Christine, hope they get can turn your "setbacks" into jumps forward very soon. You have really amazed me at how fast you've come along. Recovery seems to crawl sometimes (I've learned from my mom). I know you must miss Travis terribly. I think it was God's will that he was able to stay here with you as long as he did before going into service. You needed him.

Also, I am grateful for the updates on Jim. I am sending prayers his way that he can beat this thing once and for all. Take care.

Nancy T.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 11-24-2009 07:26 PM
The wound vac is now back on. Its a good thing, it helps to heal my neck wound faster. My ear infection has finally cleared up. Im in alot of pain from my jaw right now, Im taking alot of pain meds.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 11-25-2009 01:23 AM
So does that mean they don't think you have mersa? I know an ear infection isn't fun but it sure beats mersa and going back to the hospital. Sorry about the pain, hopefully the meds are keeping you comfortable.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 11-25-2009 04:31 AM
No mersa. I somehow picked up a staff infection. My jaw hurts so much. Ive taken alot of pain meds and it still aches.
Posted By: Markus Re: ChristineB - 11-25-2009 04:37 AM
That sucks! Hope this responds well to the antibiotics.

M
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 11-25-2009 09:15 PM
At least it's not mersa, right? Sounds like you won't have to go to the hospital for the staff infection. We know we're all cheering for you!! But man....I wish that pain would go away for you soon:)

((((HUGS))))
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 12-05-2009 01:14 AM
Geez Christine, Why is it you have to suffer so much ? You are such a special lady and so caring about everyone. I am on here looking for news of you and how you are doing. Maybe I will give you a call tomorrow afternoon early. Your forever Buddy,,,, Jim
Posted By: Marlene41 Re: ChristineB - 12-05-2009 05:45 AM
Hi, Christine -
I've been following your progress. You really are a special person - I'd have you in my corner any day! Hope your infection clears up soon - staph infections are no fun, either.
Hang in there.
Marlene
Posted By: Nancy T Re: ChristineB - 12-08-2009 08:27 PM
Christine,

Hope you're rid of your staph infection now and continuing on with your healing. I think of you often and hope you are doing well - you've spread so much good will to everyone here. You have LOTS of fans here so absorb all the good vibes we are sending your way and let us know how you're doing soon.

Take care - Nancy T
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 12-09-2009 02:17 PM
Im still amazed at how many people check up on me. Thank you!!!

A few days ago I had problems with my peg tube getting clogged in the middle of the night. Made no sense to me at all since I had just flushed it a couple hours earlier and was doing my night feeding. Went to my gastro doc, the assistant couldnt get it unclogged either. Finally the doc came in and worked it open. I flush it several times per day and at least once during the night. For anyone who has this problem with their tube....if it was not able to get cleared, another one would have had to be inserted surgically.

I also had a problem with my neck wound bleeding quite a bit for a few hours. Thankfully it subsided so I didnt have to go to the ER at night in a snowstorm.

As of today, Im doing ok. My progress is slow but I do see the swelling gradually going down. My plastic surgeon said it will take a year for everything to heal.

Thanks for all the emotional support.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: ChristineB - 12-09-2009 02:33 PM
Hi Christine

Glad you posted this here as I had read your mini blog entry on the OCF CancerBlog forum but I try not to hit reply as that forum is supposed to be read only according to OCF.
Sorry to hear about the PEG tube clogging. As you know, I hate them so I was not surprised, although disappointed that you had even more trouble.
Hope the Holidays don't get too depressing - you certainly are appreciated here at OCF.
Charm
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 12-10-2009 12:30 AM
What a pain Christine!! Can't you get a break? You are so sweet...you know we all love you here and we are always checking up on you. What are your plans for the holidays? You are welcome to come to my house..I can whip up some Ensure on ice!! (I make it really good...with vodka:)

xoxo
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 12-10-2009 01:58 AM
Charm... I had a peg tube for a year and a half without any problems. This time around its not so simple. Im already on my second peg tube. Since I have trismus, I was awake for the surgery. I was given morphine and had my 50mg patch on. Its unbelievable that I had to suffer in agony while a new tube was placed. The first tube somehow got lodged in my abdominal wall.

Although this year is different without my son here, it will be ok. I must make the best of things. Hopefully, you will be able to keep your chin up during the holiday season. Be careful too, you dont want eggnog to clog up your tube smile LOL

Suzanne.... YOU are the sweetie!!!! I got the nicest card from your sister while I was in the hospital. For Christmas I always stay home. My daughter is with me so it will be ok. I miss my son Travis very much. We always went to a special tree farm and Travis would cut down the tree. I had to start a new tradition this year, we decorated a cute little potted norfolk pine tree.

Im not the only one who must start the holiday season off differently this year. Travis is only gone for a short time. Blessings to all those families who are going thru this season without a special loved one by their side.
Posted By: suemarie Re: ChristineB - 12-10-2009 12:08 PM
Christine- the tone of your posts shows me that you are almost back to your old self. I have never and will never meet anyone like you, of that i am sure. You are an inpiration, not only to cancer patients, but to anyone that is going through a rough time.
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 12-11-2009 03:01 AM
Now that is one true statement suemarie. Christine is one to be admired and looked up to.
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 12-11-2009 03:05 AM
Ditto to Jim's comment.
Gabriele
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: ChristineB - 12-13-2009 12:48 AM
I'm glad your daughter is with you but I'm sorry you are missing Travis. You know he is doing something wonderful and I'm sure he misses you just as much. Kids always miss their moms...especially ones as awesome as you!!!

It's always good to start new traditions...even if they start from something we may not love. When Travis is back you can do both trees:)

My sister asks me about you often. She keeps asking me what she can send you and I couldn't come up with any ideas...so if you need anything, let me know:) She is having her second baby on Janiary 4. She is having a scheduled c-section so this the date....she thinks the baby will come early. I'll keep you posted.

You are always in my thoughts Christine.

xoxo
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 12-18-2009 02:00 AM
Suzanne, you and your sister are so sweet!!!! Wishing her the best with her new baby. Hope all goes well with the c-section and that both baby and momma are healthy.

I spent some time reading over this long long post. I wanted to say thank you again to everyone who cared enough to send me their prayers. The flowers and cards were a lovely bonus.

My son took very good care of me. Travis is doing great in boot camp. It seems to be easy for him, he is actually enjoying it. Besides the lousy food. Weather he is running 3 miles, hiking w/ an 80 pound pack, or doing the obstacle course, he is one of the first ones done. He spent alot of time in the gym and running before he left. Its paying off. I think he is also being rewarded now for all the good deeds he has done with taking care of me. Most 19 year old boys would not have stood up to the task like he did. Another thanks goes out to all the OCF posters who were so kind to my son. Travis appreciated it as did I.

Happy Holidays to all, and a moment of silence to remember the wonderful people who cant be with us this year. May they all rest peacefully.
Posted By: EricS Re: ChristineB - 12-18-2009 02:49 AM
Christine,

Your son and yourself are truly of the same stock. I expect no less from the son of a true warrior. You inspire me my dear and I continue to be amazed by your strength and attitude, which clearly has been passed down to your fine young man.

Keep us updated and it's great to see your posts on these boards again.

Eric
Posted By: ChristineB Re: ChristineB - 08-24-2010 10:59 PM
Every time I read these posts I cry. So many people were praying for me. I received so many nice cards which I still have. The flowers were beautiful. Today is my one year anniversary from this ordeal. So many times I thought I wasnt going to make it thru this. While my surgery didnt go as planned and I am now disfigured, I am still here. I hate looking like this but at the same time I am grateful for every single day. This post is an example of the kindness and caring within every OCF member. Thanks guys for helping me thru the worst time of my life!!!
Posted By: Gabe Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2010 01:49 AM
Hi Christine,
As you know I have already posted my congratulations on FB but somehow I think it is more official doing it here on OCF.
You are an inspiration to so many and are always one of the first to offer encouragement and advice to new members.
It�s already been said here that you are a very special lady and I strongly agree with that sentiment.
Love
Gabriele

Posted By: palmtree27 Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2010 01:55 AM
christine! here i am sending you PMs about my own problems and did not realize this was your 1 yr mark... Congratulations, you are a hero to us all! i hope you celebrated in some way today. XOXO!
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: ChristineB - 08-25-2010 04:13 AM
Christine,

Congratulations on reaching the one year mark!

You've went thru hell and back this past year, but will all the love and support of your family, your OCF family, and your inner strength I knew you would be fine. And we can't forget your doctors.

You are still the beautiful Christine I meet before and after the operation. I proud to have you as a friend.

We will have to do something special to celebrate. See you soon!

Posted By: beeboppin5 Re: ChristineB - 08-26-2010 02:42 AM
Happy anniversary, Christine. You have been an inspiration to me during the past six months that I have been going through pure hell. Although not necessarily directed to me, your posts have been some of the most helpful and hopeful. I will keep praying for your continued recovery! wink
Posted By: Susan3175 Re: ChristineB - 08-26-2010 02:50 AM
Congrats Christine!!! You so deserve this 1 year milestone. You are such an amazing person. You have truely helped me in so many ways as I am sure you have done for many others. Your triumps have made you very knowledgeable and for you to pass that knowledge to others is so helpful and appreciated in many ways. I hope you had a wonderful day doing what you love to celebrate!!!
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2010 03:04 PM
Congratulations, Christine, on your anniversary! Your strength, resilience and grace in dealing with this awful disease is inspiring. Your compassion and empathy for others is remarkable especially since you have had to face a third recurrence. Thank you for your heartfelt responses and wise advice. I am really looking forward to meeting you in person at Susan's walk in Andover, NJ. And I wish you many more anniversaries!
Posted By: EzJim Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2010 09:35 PM
Christine, I don't know how I overlooked you 1 yr anniversary, but you know I want you to always have the best and keep up the goodwork. I remember the bootcamp days 2 or 3 yrs ago.LOL I really enjoyed them because I believe always make the best of whatever you face. You have a tough son there as you found out when you needed him. Good job of raising a fine young man and him for taking such great care of you.
Posted By: walknlite Re: ChristineB - 08-27-2010 10:32 PM
Christine, congrats on the one year mark. What a milestone for you! You are a very strong woman and am glad to be here at OCF. There are wonderful people on here and you are one of them. You are always encouraging others. Keep your head held high.
Posted By: julieann Re: ChristineB - 08-28-2010 06:05 PM
Congratulations, Christine, on your one-year anniversary. Believe me, there's no way you could be considered even slightly disfigured because you are such a beautiful, caring, and giving person. Everyone on this forum loves and admires you; I know I do, so don't ever think of yourself as disfigured. That's just a mirror image - not OUR CHRISTINE.
julieann
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum