Sorry I'm so late in getting into this thread. As I've mentioned in other threads, I am so limited on time that I don't get to the forum as often as I have in the past and would like to continue to do. When I do get here, I start at the top, as most of us do and then run out of time before getting into the lower forums. Now with the walk over, I hope to ge here more.

Dr. Mike as usual has most thoroughly covered the topic of the need for antibiotics prior to dental cleanings or scalings. I wholeheartedly agree with his thoughts on the subject. The latest AHA recommendations, as far as I can remember, as well as any past recommendations, have never indicated the need for antibiotic pre-medication for patients that have undegone radiation or chemo.

As far as the question of scalings causing oseteoradionecrosis (ORN), since these procedures have nothing to with trauma to the bone, as they are limited to the gums, there is no fear of ORN developing. Suggesting that scaling lower than 2mm and therefore, allowing any periodontal disease that might be present to progress, is absurd.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"