[quote=davidcpa]Well I would like to hear exactly his reasons for advising against it.[/quote]He had told me previously that the radiation destroys blood vessels that supply the mouth, and so the body has a lot of trouble fighting infection there. He also said that if an infection starts, it is very difficult to deal with, and can lead to serious problems. When I found out that he told my dentist not to clean below 2mm, we just assumed that he said this because scaling there could lead to infection. And later when he said I could destroy my jaw, I assumed it was the infection.

What I'd like to do is hear from as many others as possible who had radiation and then talk to him about what other doctors are recommending. Because from what I know, built up scale can lead to periodontal disease, bone problems, and even bleeding.

Squamous cell carcinoma base of tongue. Lymph involvement unclear; staging placed at "2 or 3." Biopsy 4/18/2008. Treatment: IMRT every day for 7 weeks. Cisplaten once a week to sensitize cancer to radiation. Treatment ended 7/16/08. PET/CT shows no more cancer.