Beumer spends most of his time out of the country lecturing on maxillofacial prosthetic reconstruction, and less at UCLA. He also does not use email but communicates via an assistant. More than all this he is a prosthodontist that specializes in the replacement of facial parts, and is not a soft tissue expert. Whoever suggested that he was the guy to talk to for an opinion abou tscaling your teeth post treatment clearly doesn't know much about his training or what his practice is based around. I've known John for 30 years and you are looking to talk to the wrong guy. Find a periodontist associated the the head and neck department, but to be honest I think you are over thining this. I have never heard of a cancer patient getting antibiotics for scalings, and as I said before 2mm is nothing. As Dr. Mike stated clearly most people have a periodontal sulcus of between 1-3 mm dee around all their teeth where the tissue is not attached to anything.

Tell the hygienist that you have been radiated and heal slowly if she gets too aggressive. I bleed sometimes after a cleaning for a day and they are sore, But that's it. But after more radiation than you have had, in ten years of having my teeth cleaned aggressively, since with NO saliva I have a huge plaque and calculus issue, and have to have this done every 90 days to maintain things, infections have never been an issue. I have never heard of a patient getting antibiotics just because they were radiated before scaling.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.