RatPhooey is maybe a bit too active to be a LapRat -- It may be a while before he settles down -- Always picking fights with RatHuey and the two of them bang around the bottom of the cage like you wouldn't believe in these very fast mock battles, kinda like an Oriental fight video where you can't see what's going on unless you film it and slow it down.

RatDewey is the Lap Rat -- I need to weigh these guys -- So far only RatHuey, at 10 oz.

The personalities are there from the start, but somewhat covered by the initial shyness -- I've had the best success when I was able to get them as just-weaned ratlets and can carry them around in shirt pocket for a day or two to let them get used to my scent, voice, etc.

Their normal food is some compressed chunks of special food developed for lab animals called Lab Block, so almost anything else is a treat (Lab block specially formulated for rats was available in Tampa, but here I can only find the kind made for all rodents, from ratz to rabbitz) -- Right now I have a lot of expired but not bad yet food in my fridge, so I am feeding them (and my balcony Crows) some of that -- They really like the Braunsweiger sausage -- Special treats are yogurt drops or yogurt-covered raisins.

I need one more small dosage cap (forgot to ask at pharmacy) so I can put some Greek yogurt (good for humans with peaches and honey on top) in a cap for each and not make a mess -- Amusing to watch them after something like that, cleaning off their whiskers and faces.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.