I just had my new PEG installed today, courtesy of a doc who came in on a Saturday to do it -- He mentioned that he has replaced several of UW's radiology dept PEGs because they failed -- I will mention that after my surgery when I demonstrate that the inside diameter of my new PEG is the same as the *outside* diameter of the old PEG -- I've already taken the fittings off and, if I used some lube, I would be able to slide the old PEG right down inside the new one...

It's nice to pour water in the top and watch gravity do the rest with no pumping

Also, the old PEG had a large rectangular base so the Rad Doc could put a couple of sutures through to hold it in place -- First thing the nurse practitioner did was snip the sutures and cut the base back much smaller -- Not doing so leads to infections -- New PEG merely has two tabs sticking out so it won't "fall in" and can be rotated for cleaning underneath.

They gave me conscious sedation (some thing like Roofies) and the procedure took about ten minutes -- I have a dull pain in the area, which is lessening, and a little when I bend over or cough, but as easy as the first two PEGs were for me.

I have already taken off the dang tape (and some hair) and dressings, keeping it supported with a thumbdrive neck lanyard -- The tape hurt lots worse than the procedure!

The new PEG is installed in line with the first two, so my innie PEG navel is getting longer.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.