I went for my pre-surgery prep yesterday and nurse told me that lady with similar case to mine had worked very hard on her speech and after eight weeks had gotten into speech therapy, so I guess it will be a longer time before I start making phone calls! Good thing my cell has texting!

Dr Haakenslash wrote "Total Glossectomy" on the sign-away-your-life papers, although what we discussed sounded like a partial glossectomy, albeit perhaps large, on BOT -- I presume he is covering all the bases in case he finds more that he expects from the MRI (This didn't stand out on the CT, so who knows?). I suppose I'll know more when I wake up.

My GI Doc will install a decent PEG on Friday or Saturday, depending on hospital scheduling, using full sedation. Be nice to have a good one this time!

Got my sister lined up to come out if needed to get me home from hospital with trach -- Gotta satisfy the rules (Reading between the lines, they must be at serious risk if they send patient home with trach), but I *know* from many other surgeries that I do lots better at home than in hospital and I don't want the intermediate step of a Skilled Nursing Facility (aka sniff to the profession) and ones with respiratory techs are apparently rare). Plus, I wouldn't have the QuackPack Ratz to keep me company.

Stopped by my pharmacy to alert them to keep the lockers full of Oxycodone <grinz>.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.