Hi Jen, sorry things have been such a challenge. I found that it took me about 3 weeks before things stabalized and a few after that before things started to improve. From that point it has been a constant improvement with the difference from week-to-week getting smaller because you are getting closer to recovery. After a year I still look back a few weeks and say "you know, I feel better than I did a few weeks ago".

The good news for me was a couple of days after the surgery when the pathology report showed no cancer left. The chemo/rad had killed it all. I started to almost float from the good news. Had to ask the doctor to repeat it as I wasn't sure I had heard right. What a blessed feeling.

As far as the peg went, I got off it in late June, 4 months after treatment ended. After rad I couldn't talk either and used and etch-a-sketch type thing to communicate. Couldn't even swallow my own saliva. Now, like Ed I'm watching my cheeseburger intake as 20 pounds more weight is about enough.

Food taste is something I am still waiting for. Some of the folks have gotten their taste back within months. I'm a year out and still waiting. I taste some things, sort of, but generally I eat because I know I have to, not for the taste. Then again, my appetite came back and I do get hungry, just not much taste yet.

Hang in there, it will get better and better as the effects of the rad start to ease a bit.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.