I am relatively new to this life with cancer. My husband began treatments 2 weeks ago and we begin week 3 tomorrow. He has presented the worst side affects earlier than most and when we were at the radiation doctor's on Friday she said that we should consider a feeding tube this coming week.

I have talked to other survivors who had the PEG tubes and they swear, for them, that it saved their lives. My husband and I have discussed this many times. He is also not to keen about the tube but if I were you, as I have done with him, I would very strongly encourage the tube. It is not something that dangles off of you and restricts your movement or ties your down. And when she is not using it she can roll it up and hide it under her clothes. No one will even know it is there unless she tells them.

But the benefits arenumerous and life saving. She can make sure that she gets enough fluids to stay very well hydrated. Just in the last couple of days, my husband and I have discovered that hydration makes a huge difference between getting out of bed and being stuck in bed.

He has only been able to take about 1000 calories a day. This is not enough but it is all that his throat can handle. With the tube we will be able to make sure that his body stays as strong as it can so that it can fight not just the cancer but also the drugs that are trying to kill it.

I know there is a lot of controversy about the tube but it is temporary until she can eat and drink enough on her own to maintain her intake. Then they will take it out.

One survivor told me that what made it worth it for him was the stress relief he got from not having to build himself up enough strength to deal with the pain of choking down the food and water. The relief was well worth it to him.

We will get one for my husband this week, and even though he will not like it, he also knows that the benefits outweigh the detriments and he just wants to try to make it through this as best as he can.

I wish you luck with your mother. Tell her to get the tube and spend her time worrying about other things rather than eating and drinking.

100 pounds is a dangerous amount of weight loss and she is probably feeling weak because of all of the treatment. Having enough nourishment will go a long way towards improving things. You should consult with a nutritionist and have them help your mother devise a plan to make sure that she gets enough calories and fluids everyday. This is just as important in survival as the treatments themselves.

As for your other questions, I have no experience with those things so I have no other advice to offer. I wish you and your mother the best of luck!!!

Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!