Desiree,

I think going to Fox Chase is a good idea given your circumstances. I also think going to MSK for a second opinion would be a good decision. Depending on what each says, you could possibly use a recommendation of MSK's at Fox Chase. Any doctor who is worth his salt would be willing to consider using a treatment protocol from MSK. Another option for a second opinion or treatment would be Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

The important thing is to get the ball rolling. But also make sure you get adequate testing done before you start treatment. At the very least, you should have an MRI done of the head and neck. And make sure you understand all the options before choosing your treatment.

My daughter has a 6 yr old, so I understand what you are saying about having to care for your kids. Please understand, though, no matter what treatment protocol you choose, there will be at least a short time, and possibly a very long time where you will not be able to care for them adequately by yourself. You WILL need help. It would be a good idea to start checking into groups like the American Cancer Society to see what help they provide in your area. Local churches and community service groups (Lions and Rotary clubs, etc.) may also be a good resource.

I hope this was caught at an early stage and having a positive attitude is definitely a plus. Unfortunately, Brian is right about tongue cancer being one of the worst types. We were very positive at the beginning of my daughter's treatment, but we are now dealing with a very grim situation where there is very little hope for any kind of remission. You need to stay positive, but you also need to know that if this is cancer, you are in for the battle of your life. It will not be easy, but if you go in with your eyes wide open and armed with a good (no, make that a GREAT) team of doctors and a good support network of family, friends and community, you have a very good chance of beating this! I wish you the best outcome possible - LIFE!

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.