Very well put Brian! I have met a few in my travels who were more concerned about convenience and the grimm reality is that this disease is a killer and we have to give it our best shot (and maybe your only shot). Like you, I researched my options, doctors, institutions, morbidity rates, etc. very carefully and I was willing to go to any lengths to get well. I have complete confidence in my medical team - they never let me down and have been ultra vigilent and responsive (without any intervention from me). Next week I see three different doctors at different times for my 2 month checkup. I just had an MRI. My radiation oncologist writes textbooks on IMRT treatment protocols and is also a professor and is well published. It was worth traveling 60 miles a day to have one of the best in the world, but I would have traveled even further if that's what it took. I have worked in the medical field as a regulatory consultant for 25 years and have met many doctors some average and a few great and all points in between. I just can't even fathom trusting my life to an average doctor. Your decisions for treatment are probably the most important ones you will make in your entire life. The statistics for oral cancer were enough to convince me I really had no other choice. It's no surprise to me why you are #4 on this list.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)