So just wanted to post a quick update, and a thank you to the group. During the initial rush of info and emotions, finding this forum was like finding a log to cling to when you're being swept away in a flood; the flood's still happening, but at least you can keep your head above water. My very deepest thanks to all for the shared advice, and experiences, and simple good wishes.

So I'm 3 1/2 weeks post mandibular resection, and about 2 weeks pre-radiation. Before the sugery, I took the time to bundle all my records and go to a dedicated CCC for a second opinion. They confirmed the treatment plan, and while a lot of the doctors were nice, the head of surgery came across very "you're just a number" to me, and they didn't offer the same reconstructive and nerve grafting options my local hospital did. Not doubting their skill or their outcomes, but factoring in the logistics of trying to do the surgery and aftercare and hour and a half away from home, the surgeon's attitude versus the one I had, and needing to wait at least another month to redo all the consults, I opted to stay the course.

Honestly can't say enough good things about the ENT surgeon. He chased down everybody, Plastics, Imaging, making sure the surgical plan was buttoned up, made the radiologists check and re-check their findings; the day before surgery the last recheck confirmed that the cancer was further along the jaw than they'd reported, and also in one of the nerves we expected to graft.

Surgery went off without a hitch, took 13 hours. They'd told my family I'd be in a coma for a day or two after, but apparently things went well enough that they woke me the next day. Out of the hospital in 13 days, with the the graft alive and kicking, the primary neck/throat incision healed, the NG tube pulled, swallow test done and GTG on soft solids, weight bearing on the graft leg with a boot and a walker.

Went home with a trach tube in my neck, but it was pulled last week, and is almost healed. Final pathology from the surgery said that the lymph nodes were lit up on the PET scan, but never had cancer in them, they were reactive, probably from an actual infection. Also, confirmed negative surgical margins everywhere there was cancer, so chemo is off the table. Been having home health come in for wound care and physical therapy; graduated skipped crutches and graduated to a cane last week. Rehabbing the leg has been the hardest part of recovery to this point. I've been meeting with the radiation oncology team, prepping for treatment.

My doctor's tempering expectations, but says this is good news in terms of prognosis. So that's where I am. Things have probably gone as well as they could have gone under the circumstances, and I'm still standing, with a decent chance to keep standing for a while.