Your story is kind of like mine ... we weren't even thinking cancer, and I had a surgery to remove a non-healing sore, and Oh, look, cancer! Except yours sounds a lot harder, and I'm sorry. There are lots of folks here who HAVE beaten the odds, though, and you hold on to those, and follow their advice as much as you can ... that's what you do right now. (Some of them come on to all new posts and give good advice ... I highly recommend heeding it! I couldn't do all that was suggested but I wish I could've.) And write down ALL the info the doctors and nurses give you, because it ends up being a lot to remember ... I had my mother with me at most treatments, as my driver, and that helped a lot (my stepdad watched the kids, so my husband could work ... we homeschool, and that was sure interesting). Take help when it's offered, put them on a list, and then call them when you need them. You may not right now (after all, we didn't feel sick up front!) but if you end up in chemo or radiation territory, you'll want reinforcements. Hope you don't have to, but doesn't hurt to be prepared.

And ((hugs)) ... everyone here is rooting for you.

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June