I think we all had to get through the "doctors are busy and give only short answers (or no answers) to my questions" issue during treatment.

Every time my doctor gave me an inadequate answer I told him I needed more detail in his answer. He would then take longer and explain it better. Eventually he gave me the "good" answer to every question.

He also added that most patients don't want to know what's going on with their treatment or their disease. Many of them are in denial and psychologically overwhelmed by it all; they just want to come in, get zapped and leave. Since that is the norm doctors give short answers or minimize their answer. BUT, once they realize you ARE serious about wanting to know they will open up and give you the detail you seek. My doc said he did this because patients who want to know make better patients and have better outcomes.

So, fight for yourself and your husband. It's all part of being a good patient advocate.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good