In the summer of 2011, my wife Becky had surgery for cancer on the back of her tongue. After the surgery she had very limited swallowing ability, but it was improving, and her speech was of course impaired. Radiation and Chemo therapy in Oct 2011 took away what little remained of her swallowing ability. She receives all her nutrition through a tube in her stomach. By March 2012 Becky finally convinced the Dr to take action to help with her swallowing. May 2012 was to be her first dilatation, but the Dr found that Becky's esophagus was closed tighter than originally thought and they would have to try again to go down the throat while also going up from her stomach. That procedure took place July 2012. In December 2012, the third dilatation was performed and she is finally beginning to take small amounts of liquid and pureed food by mouth, and by small amounts I mean in the tablespoons per day range. It has taken her so long to get to this point, and with the tube feedings giving her problems with nausea and digestion irritation, Becky has decided to stop taking any nutrition, and only take water, by tube. She pushes each day to increase her intake by mouth, but the struggle with swallowing is really draining her. This sink or swim decision has me a bit scared, but I comprehend her wanting the torture to end, whether by death or improvement. Since she has a DNR, and I will abide by it, when the time comes, if that is the outcome, who should be contacted, and should there be some prearrangement with them?

ShadowCG,stage 4 oral cancer care giver
Dx spring 2011
Tx summer 2011
IMRT and cispltn fall 2011