On Monday, talk with the hospital's billing department. Most hospitals will have different programs that will give him reduced costs. Some facilities will give 100% free care to someone in his situation. They may ask to fill out forms and maybe even apply for medical assistance. Its worth a shot, the worst that can happen is they say no. Thats where he is right now anyway, you cant get if you dont ask. Dont be embarrassed about it either, everybody needs a hand sometimes in life.

Your FIL is like many people, biding his time til he can qualify for medicare. I dont want this to be taken the wrong way....its nothing political....it seems like what you just described is the government's way of dissuading people from taking ss disability.

Is the antibiotics given thru a piccline? Thats how they give the stronger ones. I ended up doing them for about 8 months and my blood counts were horrible. My white count was .9 and my doc gave me procreate shots to boost it back up. Once I went off the antibiotics, my numbers went back to almost normal range, the white count is 3.4 which isnt bad.

Best wishes to your FIL. I hope he continues to improve.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma