Karen - It sounds like your husband is making progress, with feeling stronger and it's good that he has a positive outlook, but I know it must be worrisome for you when he refuses to try food. My son did not have a PEG or the exact same experience that Emmett is having - but he had a very difficult time with solid foods. His tongue was swollen, too and had a hard time moving the noodles around from the chicken noodle soup so for a long while he would only sip the broth. I'm sure others here will have some ideas for you more closely related to Emmett's experience. Until you hear from others, there is a thread on this forum on eating and swallowing that has good suggestions on soft foods and how to handle them. Just go to:
http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129307#Post129307
Hope things go very well at the next check-up. Let us know what happens.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)