My husband is 5 months out of surgery and 3 months out of TX with a peg. He passed his swallow study in January and the Dr. scoped him and said he should have no problem swallowing foods. Dr. seemed surprised he was not eating soft foods yet. Emmett has tried a teaspoon of yogurt & pudding once since then and gagged until he rinsed it out. He says his tongue can not move the food like it should so it just sits there and he can't swallow it plus it tastes salty and why bother. I want him to keep trying every day so his tongue movement gets stronger. He does drink water and he feels that is enough of an accomplishment for now. He does say he looks forward to eating someday just can't right now. I am worried he is losing ground with being able to eat as things will stiffen up. He can not open his mouth as wide as he could before TX and he admits his tongue feels swollen and not moving as well as it was. Is this a normal reaction for others who have had this tongue surgery? Am I expecting too much to soon? We go back to Mayo next Monday for his check up and I was hoping he would be motivated by the visit to say he was trying to eat at least. Overall he has a positive outlook, is more active recently and feeling stronger but I don't understand his refusal to try food - he does take all his cans no problem.

CG 2 Emmett,7/09 DX SCC rt tongue. T2N1M0, 1 node, marg neg.4/10 PET/CT clear, 9/10 C back. 10/10 Rad hemi, 2 tmrs mod diff. resec flr of mth. Flap 4 nodes/w/ext cap. 11/10 Peg, CX3 HD, 30 rad. 1/31 & 3/21 6/11/11 - PET/CT "activity" 9/11-all Clear. 12/11 peg out. 2/15 still all clear! 9/14 Prostate cancer treated with pencil beam proton therapy, best radiation experience. Keep it in mind as a treatment option for all tumors that can be seen including head and neck.