I went back and re-read this thread with interest today. I have also been asked to participate in a clinical trial at MDA. They spoke to me about it on my last F/U visit 2 weeks ago. It's the "EPOC" trial - Erlotinib Prevention of Oral Cancer. Erlotinib (Tarceva) is a drug that blocks the activity of an enzyme found on the surface of many tumor cells that may control tumor growth and survival. It is already approved for tx of non-small cell lung ca.

Here's the interesting thing - the main screening test involves testing the tumor tissue they removed during my surgery for certain genetic markers that indicate a higher risk of recurrence. Apparently this screening is fairly new. Since my Dr at MDA has always told me I have a very low risk of recurrence (he says he thinks 5%) I figured I would not qualify, but at least would know. Well here's the bad news - they called me yesterday and told me that I do qualify - which means I have those genetic markers present, indicating a 65% chance of recurrence in the next 3 years.

Is anyone else in this trial? I am going to go ahead with the next steps, which involve additional exam and screening. I figure it can't hurt to have the extra surveillance even if I end up with the placebo. It's kind of a downer, though, knowing that I have those genetic markers...

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!