Gary,

You are absolutely correct - most studies do pay the subjects and never charge your insurance. That is why you get so many participants in trials. However, from what I am gathering, I think that MD Anderson puts you in as a new patient first - b/f screening you for the trials and thus - they bill your insurance. They were quite clear about having to be in network. I kept questioning this too - b/c I was like "But, I'm SCREENING for a trial." I think b/c cancer trials are so involved and they do scans and everything to make sure you don't have active cancer for these particular trials we are speaking of, that might be why they don't pay for the screening per say.

Colleen, It sounds like you are right - it may not be a blinded study. You may be eligible if they are allowed to let you participate. The Inclusion / exclusion criteria (in this case the length of time from treatment for you) are approved by the FDA and some research centers will not deviate from these - as they are set up to protect the safety of the subjects. Generally these are cut and dry. For instance they would never allow a diabetic to participate if that wawas listed as exclusion. However, with time frames, I've seen them be more leniant at times - it really depends on the facility. Sometimes deviation from the I/E criteria will trigger audits from various places (including the FDA) and no site wants to get an audit and have the possibility of getting issued a citation due to deviation from I/E criteria. They are ultimately set up for the safety of the patient and that is why the FDA doesn't like deviations from them.

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.