The conspiracy of silence he's put you in can make you an enabler to a self-fulfilling prophesy. *Threatening* to tell his sister/best friend just adds to the drama. If you are that worried, tell them. I know it's easier said than done because you will feel that you are betraying his friendship, but continuing the debate makes you a party to this deception. And even if you tell his sister/friend, there's no guarantee he will see a doctor, but at least you know you did the right thing.

His symptoms may not lead to a diagnosis of OCC. If it doesn't, you can feel foolish; if it does, at least you knew you did the right thing. But this situation is in his hands, not yours.

Give him a deadline: Tell him if he doesn't make an appointment within a week, you will call his sister. That gives him some control over the situation. If he lies about making an appointment, all bets are off - tell his sister.

Sorry for being so harsh, but I feel strongly about this. I wouldn't write him off, but I would not continue to be his enabler.

Marlene

Marginal mandibulectomy 6/17/08 resulted in DX of Stage I SCC - gingiva (3 mm) right mandible, buccal side. Clear margins. Occasional social drinker. Smoked last cigarette in 1979. Clear pet: 12/08; 7/20/09. Yay!