We have different thoughts on the infection...one doctor thought diabeties, another thought due to fat cells, and I myself thought cause I touched it too much when trying to keep my trach closed to talk...I think the doctors and the nurses really kept an eye on my diabeties...I am insulin dependant not sure about you I was so afraid of being low and not being able to eat to adjust it but I really had nothing to worry about. When I went back for a check up a week after discharge the doctor was sure I was smoking again cause my incision looked like I had had radiation then he realized I was diabetic and only quit a day before surgery. He apolgized and now tomorrow I go to see him again and he is going to be sooo pleased I know I am!!! If your doctors are like mine you will be just fine!!!! Just be prepared to get a lot of rest!!

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY