I am going to try to respond to Brian's post, Mark's post and Gary's post in as clear AND unprejudicial manner as I can-based on our personal experience..*** To summerize what follows: Peg tubes are a way to guarantee nutrition and hydration during treatment. SOME PEOPLE may NOT need them. If not inserted at the beginning of treatment, some may find additional hospitalization is necessary. Each individual responds to treatment differently.A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF YOUR TREATMENT AND POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS IS NECESSARY TO MAKE THIS DECISION ***
Before surgery #1.John's surgeon NEVER gave him a choice whether to "peg or not peg" At our presurgery meeting, Dr. S. explained that he would be doing a bilateral neck dissection,removal of all but 5 upper teeth, floor of mouth tumor removal, removal of some of the tongue and the insertion of a peg tube. End of discussion. In looking back over our journal after the 1st surgery and rad tx., if John had NOT had the peg, he would have spent many days in the hospital being fed and hydrated, at additional stain to him and me, and additional cost to everyone. 46 days after his last rad tx. he had the peg removed and tried to maintain and boost his weight by mouth. When the 2nd cancer started growing, 4 months after rad. tx, the pain in John's mouth and throat shut down the little amount of food he had been able to take by mouth and he began to lose alot of weight. I need to reiterate here that my husband is not a wimp or a complainer. The 2nd surgery included more neck dissection, a titanium jaw with free flap, a trach and a new peg tube. At this point, his only way of getting nutrition is the peg. The gunk in his mouth and throat seem insurmountable. We have tried everything on this forum to cut it-to no avail and when he tries something by mouth it just gets worse. So for now, it is either the peg or the hospital. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

: