Im coming into this a bit late, Im not sure who asked about transportation? Different facilities may offer some alternatives for patients who need help getting to and from their treatments. Im fairly certain in the US Hope Lodge has a shuttle for their visitors. For OCFs members who are outside of the US, there could be things available to patients in your area. Unfortunately many of these types of things arent offered until after the fact. I suggest asking both doctors and nurses at your treatment facility. Always remember... If you dont ask, you dont get!!!

The American Cancer Society (ACS) runs a volunteer driver program. I used it myself back in 2007. When I was diagnosed with OC, I had no idea about what it meant to have cancer or go thru cancer treatments. I had known anyone who had cancer. Calling ACS was a surprisingly enlightening phone call. I was not expecting to have any volunteers that would driving me the hour and half round trip to my treatment facility. Back then we lived pretty far out in the country so it was quite a hike for a volunteer driver to get to my area. At first, I felt guilty using the service when I had my 17 year old son to drive me. I worried by using the driver program it would take a ride away from someone else. Then I felt guilty about depending so much on my son who to me was still a kid. Looks like Im quite a worrier, huh! After I recovered from my first round of OC, I applied and became a volunteer driver myself. It was a great experience helping others get to their appointments. Some patients talked, others werent feeling up to it which was ok too. Right away I found by helping others, it also helped me. I was able to come to terms with everything I had been thru and get a better grip on always feeling guilty. The ACS has other helpful programs that will help cover transportation costs and/or pay for out of pocket prescriptions. Anyone in the US who has been diagnosed with cancer should call ACS (they open 24/7) and inquire about whatever they could used some help with.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma