The feeding tube frequently will have residual formula or a little of whatever has been put into it. This does NOT mean there is any problem. It also does NOT mean he shouldnt put anything else into it! If he doesnt like seeing this, I suggest flushing more often with 2 of the 60ml syringes of luke warm water. Flushing after feedings is very important to ensure the feeding tube remains free of any leftover formula. This also helps to meet his daily water requirements.

We have a great many here who have varying experiences with feeding tubes. Too often, patients get their feeding tube then are pretty much left to figure it out for themselves. After a very brief explanation someone who is completely unfamiliar with the ins and outs of feeding tubes isnt able to absorb so much feeding tube info in such a short amount of time. If you havent asked yet, check with his doc or nurses if theres any at home visiting nurses for patients who are new to using feeding tubes. Ive had visiting nurses a few times and they were all so nice, absolutely wonderful experiences with very kind and helpful nurses who took the time to teach me everything they could about feeding tubes.

Hope this helps!!!

PS... Barium swallow tests usually arent done on patients who are just going into treatments. Its more of an after rads/surgery type of test. At least thats what Ive always seen here in the US.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma