Hi Gloria,

I've been quite busy for a bit but I thought I would let you know that I bought the Waterpik you suggested. I didn't realize it was going to take forever to ship so I just received it last week but I still haven't been able to get him to use it. Although, I really haven't had time to study it much and see how it works either so maybe I can do that this weekend.

I was wondering though, you suggested the tongue scraper. He probably shouldn't actually use it to scrape his tongue, should he? Since he had the operation and all... Did you mean to just use it at the back of the tongue? Also, they haven't given him any magic mouthwash. They did give him nystatin for thrush and when he actually did ask about the magic mouthwash, they told him that the nystatin was a version of magic mouthwash... Anyway, I think the thrush is almost gone and now we have only 2 weeks left. Also, he hasn't been eating so maybe that is why they didn't mix anything else (such as lidocaine) with the nystatin. I'm not particularly happy about him not trying to eat but he is still drinking his water and he's getting his nutrition through his tube. His energy has been low so I have suggested he try to drink a Boost but he hasn't and I'm not going to push it. I'm just letting him do it his way. We don't have much farther to go. I hope....

Hope you all are doing well.

Pam

Significant Other diagnosed in May: SCC Right Lateral Tongue , Right Floor of Mouth. Surgery July 30, 2019: Subtotal Glossectomy. Right Mandibulectomy, Extraction of All lower teeth. Removal of Right Lymph nodes; SCC in 4 of 23 Lymph Nodes, Reconstruction using tissue and bone from forearm and tissue from thigh.
Former smoker: 30 years and family h/o Cancer
Radiation began 9/6/19 and chemo 9/11/19.
Finished treatment in October 2019.
Awaiting CT Scan.