Welcome to OCF! Im so sorry you are scared! Not knowing the future is always a bit unnerving. You have found the very best place to get info and support.

Only your doctors will be able to determine if you will need rads or not. Most patients will have a surgery and about 6-8 weeks later if they are doing rads it will start. I wont lie, its not easy, none of this is but it is doable and you can get thru this. We will be right here to help guide you thru this maze of medical jargon.

How it works is if the cancer cells have gone into the lymph nodes they will gradually go from the first node to the next and so on. Simply put, think of it like peas in a pod with the first one being rotten, soon the next one will be too. From what I understand, the lymph nodes are like the gateway to passing things thru the bloodstream where they eventually (if untreated) will go thru out the body. A neck dissection will take several nodes past what they find cancerous to ensure they get them all. Just like surgery taking much more tissue around where the cancer is. Honestly, for most of us the surgery is the easy part.

My suggestion is to right now focus on your intake. Eat all your favorite foods and then have dessert too. Dont worry about gaining weight, just eat!!! Make memories with your family and friends before your surgery and stay super busy. By being busy you wont worry so much. Worrying wont help, I know its hard but by focusing on other more positive things it really will help you to feel more at ease.

Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy