During my six months of disphagia I was totally on the tube. For a while I did some swallowing exercises hopefully to make it easier when and if I got my swallowing function back. I am not sure the exercises were any help. When the obstruction was finally breached on Mar 22 I had no real problems at all swallowing except the quantity I could swallow comfortably was much less than before the chemo/rad treatments. This will be work in progress. My goal is to be able to eat enough (probably 2300-3000 calories /day)without the tube. Right now I would have to have about 6 meals a day to consume that many calories, but I am down to 2-3 cans from 4-5 cansof formula per day so I am heading in the right direction. I will be asking the Dr about additional dilations, steroids and/or minimally invasive surgery to further open up my esophagus. Meanwhile, while I want this tube gone, just being able to drink and swallow again is a huge improvment. I am thankful and uncomplaining. What was interesting to me through this whole deal is when the obstruction was cleared, I did not have to re-learn to swallow. It just worked as before but I just can't get a lot of volume through....small bites, little sips, and Ensure type supplements may be my future.

Mr Mike

WM age 69, Stage III sqamous cell, base of tongue (left lingual tonsil), (1) node positive, Dxd Aug 2012, 35 rad treat with Cisplatin weekly, final treatment 10-16-12, CT scan 11-18-12 good result, PET in Jan 2013, good result, Barium swallow test...no swallowing function.