Well it is now three weeks since my procedure that opened my esophagus. I can eat many things but in small bites and a glass of water always at hand. Learning to eat slowly takes a little practice. Nothing tastes very good yet except maybe some good old chicken soup, but hopefully that will improve. I have to triple salt things to improve taste and decided that's not good for the blood pressure. I ate in a restuarant for the first time since last summer and did pretty well. No steak yet but a hamburger steak is doable. I didn't let them mess with my teeth at the outset and I really appreciate all the money I spent on dental care over the years because I really need the teeth now to eat. No more gulping things down.

My regular gastroenterologist called me today (ain't that something). Wanted to know how I was doing and since I have stopped using the feeding tube he will set up an appointment to see if another dilation will be helpful (I told him I could only take small bites). He will then assess me for tube removal. He does not want to be premature on removing it, but my goal is to be rid of it.

So, my story has been very good. I have 80% of my strength back and no complaints.

Note to CristineB.
Christine, I want to thank you for your contributions to this site and your enduring patience with all of us. I have reread your history a couple times and you have really been through the wringer and at such a young age. You have my best wishes for a long, healthy, and happy life.

Mr Mike

WM age 69, Stage III sqamous cell, base of tongue (left lingual tonsil), (1) node positive, Dxd Aug 2012, 35 rad treat with Cisplatin weekly, final treatment 10-16-12, CT scan 11-18-12 good result, PET in Jan 2013, good result, Barium swallow test...no swallowing function.