Three doc's recommended the tube before starting treatment..... they were right. By week three of treatment I had no swallowing function and this lasted 6 months. Fortunately I had my third endoscopy procedure yesterday to breach the stricture and it was successful and I was dilated. I can swallow now in smaller amounts than before treatment, but I am elated with the progress. I drank two ten ounce soft drinks while in recovery. By the time I got home (6:00 PM) I was very tired and it became very painful to swallow so I am taking some pain meds and an antibiotic so that I can continue swallowing and keep the stricture open. The stricture is likely an accumulation of scar tissue from the radiation. I think the pain will subside in a few days and then it will get easier. Apparently the Dr had to use a little force to breach the stricture and that is the cause of the soreness. There was traces of blood in my saliva yesterday but gone the following day. He also told the nurse that I might need another dilation (maybe two). This is very common for esophageal strictures and he will likely turn me back over to the local gastroenterologist for these procedures and eventually the removal of my feeding tube. I have an appointment on April 9 with the Dr that performed the procedure to discuss this. I cannot take big bites but small ones with a sip of water go down fine and I have not swallowed in six months.

As you might expect I am absolutely thrilled with this unexpected outcome. I went from a total occlusion of the esophagus to sipping liquids rather normally with this single procedure.

Me Mike

WM age 69, Stage III sqamous cell, base of tongue (left lingual tonsil), (1) node positive, Dxd Aug 2012, 35 rad treat with Cisplatin weekly, final treatment 10-16-12, CT scan 11-18-12 good result, PET in Jan 2013, good result, Barium swallow test...no swallowing function.