Hi there.. if it's in the tongue I imagine it would be squamous cell carcinoma... but hopefully it's not. If the margins come back clear chances are they will not do anything after unless there is spread to nodes, or perineural involvement (usually if the tumor is deep it hits a nerve) At this point there is a better chance of microscopic spread. This may lead them to recommend rads (possibly chemo)

If they do not then definitely keep an eye out for swollen lymph nodes in the neck, and or unhealing sores in his mouth. If either happen then have him back in the office ASAP.

One of the mistakes some of the drs make is assuming they got it all but microscopic cancer can sit in the nodes and flare up later. This is why this cancer has to be monitored carefully. My dr. already knowing it was cancer removed a chunk of my tongue and despite knowing I had no node involvement also took out 40 lymph nodes... at the end of it he said in my opinion you are cured but still sent me for rads because between the biopsy, and CTs and MRIs a node popped up and by the time they did the surgery it had leaked some of its cells... this cancer can move quickly so hopefully they have nipped it in the bud... assuming it's cancer at all... I hope and pray it isn't... best of luck with the results.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan