Michele - I stumbled upon your post - and it couldn't have come at a better time for me. I am a caregiver for my dad and he is in a very similar place in treatment - near the end but really struggling to get to the finish line.

I've been struggling as the caregiver too - and probably part of it is bc he is my dad - it is hard being so firm and wear the "nurse from hell" hat to a parent. But I did it about his nutrition on Friday - we didn't really speak for a few hours, but he doubled his intake that day.

I pushed again this morning and got him to another rad session.

Only 4 more to go - and you Michele and all of the folks who responded to your string - have given me the reinforcement I needed to keep pushing.

I also sent an email to his friends asking for increased outreach this week. I know hearing from other people makes a difference.

So thank you all for helping another caregiver! And stay strong Michele!

Alicia

CG to dad (63, ex-smoker) stage 4 SSC tongue. Surgery 7/12. 14/77 + node w some broken encapsulation. Tx 6 wkly cisp, 35 IMRT. Clinical trial panitumumab. Wk 5, blood counts fell. Tx stopped. Hospitalized 11 days. Revised Tx (no clinical trial, cisp to carbo). Counts fell. Stopped chemo. No PEG.