Oh Michele - I know it is soooo hard to see someone you love going through this kind of treatment torture! My son wanted to quit, too! One morning as I was helping him get ready for his Rad Tx he just announced he just couldn't go, and he wouldn't go. Lots of good suggestions above. For me, when he just sat there with his head in his hands, just giving up - I finally said, ok - but since he had an appointment with one of the doctors that day, I suggested we just take him to his doctor appointment and let him see what was happening in his mouth. So I got him there and the doctor did give him a "break" of a few days but he did resume the Rad Tx. You have to try different things until you hit on something that helps him to continue and to give him a "why" to keep fighting. My son also slept on a recliner with a humidifier and a plant mister to water spray his mouth. I like your comment about putting on your "big girl britches". When my son was being obstinate about cooperating, a beautiful caregiver here on OCF told me to "put my nurse from hell hat on" and I did, and it worked! Of course right after, I cried all the way home in the car. But my son did make it through and doing just great, now almost 6 years later! Hang in there Michele, you and Tim will make it through this!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)