Ellen

I almost forgot. Perhaps your husband will be heartened by the fact that Michael Douglas, the famous actor, with access to the best treatment and doctors that money can buy also went through his entire radiation and chemotherapy without a PEG tube or feeding tube.
Christine's advice is spot on. Have your husband eat, eat, eat now. Just pack those calories on. Everybody in my radiation cohort made it thru without a PEG, just as our Radiologist said we would, and just as almost all his patients do.
As Christine noted, I've seen the PEG from both sides now. I agree with your husband's doctor that doing it without a PEG is not pretty, and it is much easier to keep up nutrition and calories with a PEG, but if he does get a PEG, he must continue to force himself to swallow. IMO, the plus side of not using a PEG is always learning how to keep swallowing so when it's over, I was back to eating regularly fast.
Perhaps those enlarged blood vessels are a blessing in disguise, you never know
But there is no wrong answer here, PEG or no PEG, both are right if that's what he needs or wants.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13