Yes. I had a peg in but couldn't use it. I tried it 3 times and threw up at the half way point of each feed. So I sucked it up and drank/ate by mouth. I bought high calorie ensure and boost downed 4 a day plus a few bottles of water - I was okay eating up to week 4 when I lost all taste... Manuka honey helped with the pain so since I had so few mouth sores drinking my ensure was easy up to week 6 - I had 33 rad treatments - things got painful at treatment 30 not too bad but bad enough so I would take a pain med chug a mouthful of magic mouthwash and then down my ensure in two mouthfuls. It worked for two weeks post rads and then slowly I got back to eating - that's the best part my peg was removed 2.5 weeks post rads because I wasn't using it, and I've maintained my swallowing reflex. In total I lost 20 lbs. At this point sweet and salty are slowly coming back, but natural foods, fresh fruits and veggies, potatoes, soy products are all okay. Processed foods, not so much... I am 7 weeks out of radiation this wednesday. It can be done... I had the image guided placement of my peg too ...

I should have just said no.. But I was worried because I know it can be hard... I have to say I've been very blessed. If your husband is at the low end of his weight then a peg is a good idea. If he can afford to lose 20- 40 or so lbs then he can talk to his dietician to help him figure out how much nutrition he needs - from this point on they can determine how many ensure, boost, or whatever liquid nutrition he will need to maintain his weight and heal (protein is important I used to add a scoop of protein powder to at least one ensure (and half a banana etc..)) except for the two worst weeks. So it can be done.

Good luck... There are a few here who have done without the peg. Some hospitals in other countries actually don't offer Pegs, it's to help Maintain swallowing. So it really depends on the hospital, dr. And patient.

Take care.

Last edited by Cheryld; 06-26-2011 02:31 PM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan