Hi Everyone,

I just read this entire thread and it is heartbreaking to me how the holiday focus on foods alienates the OC population.

We have been invited to an annual Christmas dinner that in the past was something we looked forward to. As my husband is recovering from jaw surgery, this is too much of a challenge for him at this time. He is still on a liquid supplement and standing around watching others drink spirits and eat passed hor d'oeuvres would be torturous. The graft on his leg alone makes this difficult not to mention the sutures on his face.

We have decided not to go which is fine with me. However, some of the other friends who are going are still sending notes in their Christmas cards really pushing the event. I know they mean well but part of me feels that they think Clark should be better by now and should want to come just to be with friends. What??

My husband does not feel sorry for himself but he also does not want to put himself in the arena of being the odd man out. We know that in time things will improve. So for now we're laying low.

Maybe there can be a different way to celebrate the holidays that can include those whose eating patterns have changed. I am discovering that food, like alcohol, can be overrated. I mean that in the kindest way. Clark really misses the desire for and the taste of certain foods. I am just trying to find a place for him to feel comfortable regarding food issues.

Peace to all!

Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections