As the Holiday (or Holy Days) approach, it can be hard on us. The emphasis on food and parties can be depressing for those of us who can't eat or have swallowing difficulties. The weariness of radiation that lingers on after the treatments are done doesn't help either.
I was struck by this headline on an article in my local Catholic newspaper. While I object to the tyranny of positive thinking, the author's little story made its point to me
[quote]In 1953, I was in the US Army, a military police officer walking guard duty at midnight on Christmas Eve. There I was, a lonely draftee serving at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. My civilian life seemed a million miles away, I could actually hear the choir singing Christmas carols at the post chapel where midnight Mass was being held.
I felt terribly alone. It never dawned on me that night that I was giving in to self pity. Indulging my negative feelings kept me from realizing the wonderful opportunity I was given.
It would have been so much better had I sung along with the choir.... the gift of joy never descends on those who think they are a poor helpless creature.[/quote]
Just a reminder that we can cope with the Holiday spirit even when our spirits are low.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13