Cognitive therapy varies all over the map. In my personal experience and it is expensive and time consuming to find a good one (personal recommendations or referals from your MO or cancer support group may help in the quest). I swear that some of these Psychologists spent so much time in therapy themselves for their disfunctions that they became therapists (God help us)! Some people go to open (you don't have to admit that you're an alcoholic) AA meetings for a poor mans type of therapy. I also had to deal with post Tx anger and went to several anger management classes at my church and I fould that exceptionally helpful.

The role of the psychiatrist is to manage your medications and keep your brain chemistry clinically balanced. This can be a daunting experience and much trial and error may be utilized until they get you "dialed in" with the right meds. If you are not responding well to the meds, get an immediate appointment for a re-evaluation.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)