Jo-

Good to hear from you. (And really happy you are able to help care for your brother.)

Actually, my grandmothers life was very similar to yours. Both of her parents died when she was very young and was handed over to an aunt that did not want her. My grandfather was the eighth or ninth child to a farmstead family and was born and raised to work on their farm. Neither of my grandparents, (paternal side), had anything past a sixth grade education. They had a rough life together but remained committed to each other throughout. Raised 4 sons and proudly described themselves as solid stock country folk. I've tried to instill some of those same basic skills I was taught to my son and daughter.

I think about their, and your, experiences and how strength of character is developed from facing adversity. I feel that a person has to experience some adversity to truly enjoy the successes in life.

Keep up the water intake! But you need to push yourself on additional calorie intake. Very Important!

The PT has taken an interesting turn. All positive. They have been working down my neck and into my traps and upper back. The soft tissue response has been great. I'm getting slightly more left to right motion and the pain has lessened somewhat. The joint and muscles associated with my limited jaw movement has started to loosen as well. Each week I have the ability to open my mouth a little wider. With the improved opening, I'm able to speak with more clarity.

Have fun with Thanksgiving! I'm taking a grin and bear it attitude and although I'm looking forward to seeing my extended family, I think I'm going to limit my time to a few hours and leave when everyone starts to nap in front of the TV during the football games.

1997 SCC Tumor on tongue - Partial Gloss
1997 Met to Lymph
Radical Neck Dissection / 2nd Partial Gloss
6 weeks chemo and radiation
Brachytherapy
2011 Stroke
2014 Recurrence SCC at Base of Tongue / Hemi-gloss
Free Flap reconstr from thigh
PEG Tube
Radiation
Permanent Issues with speech and swallowing
2018 - Bleeding throat / mouth